When will be the next macbook pro external refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lachero23, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No one knows

There is no rumours of one, the earliest will be for skylake next year about this time.

I personally think it'll be canonlake the year after...

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I think we'll see a newer design based around the new keyboard and trackpad being thinner.

Or, they may keep the enclosure but throw in more of their sheet-style batteries for longer run time.

USB type C should be a feature of the new designs, possibly at the expense of the 2nd Thunderbolt port on the 13" machines.

3. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

I'm guessing they will add force touch trackpad for MacBook retina 15 this yr , the next external change will probably be 2 yrs later the earliest .

4. Derived macrumors regular

Derived

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

I think this is going to happen or that is going to happen, but no one here knows what's going to happen. So many posts in asking strangers that don't know what in tarnation is going to happen. Your guess is good as anyone else, but that may or may not happen. I usually wait until it actually happens. ;)

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The 13" rMBP didn't get any change with Broadwell so the 15" will almost certainly be the same. USB Type-C will probably show up with Skylake more than changes in ports who knows. I am guessing battery tech has evolved too in the years so a redesign with new batteries and a slightly changed thinner, smaller bezel form factor is likely.
    I agree with the other posters that it probably won't be Skylake and more likely later still. But it could be they drop the dGPU with Skylake finally on the 15" and at the same time change a little about the 13".

With Skylake there is also the first time a serious upgrade to the 13" GPU as it will have edram for the first time. Maybe they take the occasion and make this a big overall upgrade. But definitely not sooner than that.

7. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I think they'll wait to see customer responses for the keyboard. Notice they didn't add it to the MBA or 13" MBP. It seems somewhat controversial and most people aren't going to pay $1,200+ for a notebook with a terrible keyboard.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The new keyboard would require substantial redesigning of the case. The Force Touch trackpad I'd wager fits right into the same enclosure of the old style one.

The new keyboard and trackpad will debut across the line when the Air and the Pro get their new design. We'll probably see the new trackpad in the 15" this year though because it requires little to no changes to the case.