When will FaceBook stop climbing and start falling?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrsir2009, Jan 18, 2011.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I mean, it can't just keep climbing forever, can it? It must fall? What are your predictions for FaceBook to start going doooowwwwn?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not a Facebook fan, so I wouldn't particularly notice if it ceased to exist altogether

3. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I want it to start going downhill because it's extreme popularity is becoming annoying.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hmmmm, why does it bother you?
    It doesn't affect me one way or another

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

My guess is when something new and better comes. Social media is here to stay, people won't just suddenly quit contacting each other through the Internet. FaceBook is a great concept IMO, not easy to beat. Sure it starts to be bloated by all that crap as well but the main idea behind it and its popularity makes it great. So easy to contact people that you normally couldn't

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If Facebook can continue to evolve it will last for at least 5 more years. If something better comes along and knocks it off of it's perch the way Myspace died then it will go away in 2 years. At the moment there is no competition so Facebook will be around.

The only thing that can hurt Facebook is itself, if privacy becomes a concern and turn people away that will hurt it, other than that they really are untouchable at the moment.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

^^^

The early days of search engines may be like social networking sites now. There were a few major ones but then Google came along and got it "right" sort of and went public. Currently waiting on the facebook to go public-- however:

The Facebook Fiasco Is A PR Disaster For Goldman Sachs, And Now It May Lose Out On An IPO
    The bad press is there, but I don't think they've peaked yet.

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I think it depends on whether they stick to what they're good at (connecting me with my friends) or try too hard to push into other directions. For example, they seem to be trying to take over my email (facebook email addresses), and everyone knows about their issues with privacy and selling your data to advertisers -- both things that I don't really need and don't really want.

If they keep it simple, configurable, and it remains a site where I can keep in touch with my friends, I can see it being successful indefinitely -- just like Gmail, Hotmail, Skype, YouTube are likely going to be around for a long time to come.

If they start taking advantage of their position and I get inundated with spam, ads, game invitations, "virus" invitations, or get other things shoved down my throat that I don't want, or if they start (continue?) to do questionable things with the data they are collecting, then they may invite a backlash that results in people leaving the service. For example, I see they've started pushing out @facebook.com email addresses. Not interested, don't want it. As long as I can say "no, thank you" then we're good. If they start shoving that in my face, however...

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's become more annoying than fun for me at the moment. The new layout is a total mess and my news feed is filled full of people joining them witty phrased groups that just steal your personal information.

At the moment, it's a cesspit.

10. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

In the future they might force you to make a @facebook.com email address to be able to use FaceBook. That'd make a backlash.

11. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

Could not agree more with this post.

If they do that, I will cancel my account immediately.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Aside of some new, hot social media competitor, I can't see FB falling in the near future. What would really hurt them is a breach of their security. It will happen eventually and youngens will realize how important their privacy is. Too bad they'll never get it back.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I believe FB will decline within 5 years ... something will replace it that does not rely on selling people's information. Something that does not insisting on ownership of everything posted.

IMO Facebook is nothing more than a fad and is nearing a time when more people will be leaving than joining ... they also have grown with no actual business plan ... adopting a spam style, sell your personal info way of revenue stream ... :cool:

14. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Honestly I dont see it ever dying the way myspace did, just like I dont see youtube ever dying. However I only use the iphone app, I havent used the web based facebook since I created my account. Its too bloated and complicated for me. The iphone version is minimalistic and awesome.

15. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

I don't see Facebook falling in the near future at all. It's hard for that to happen when they're at 600 million members and in the billion dollar revenue range. How many internet companies have made it that far? There is still plenty of room for growth as we'll likely see membership reach 1 billion in the next few years.

Facebook has established itself as the standard for social networking, just as Google had established itself as the standard for search. Yes, they are beatable, it's just not very easy to do when they're at that size.

16. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Eff that I'm keeping mine :D

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

The thing about FB is, it feeds on itself. The more people it gets, the more people want to join because all their friends are on it. So it will be hard for it to die too hard unless they REALLY screw things up.

IMO, they have already screwed up pretty badly, and I left months ago. My take is that this is a company that fundamentally does not get it when it comes to privacy. They honestly believe we should all be Ok with having all of our info online, and they really don't get why people don't want that. Oh sure, they make concessions to privacy because people complain, but they don't fundamentally "get" the problem.

Also, I think they have no intention of limiting themselves to their core concept. I think they want to be Google in that they want to be your central hub for everything you do on the internet. They get their in a different way, but both companies basically want to be your one stop shop, the place from which you are linked to everything else you do.

I liked the original facebook, where it was just a way to connect with friends and people you otherwise wouldn't find again. But that's not where the money is, so here we are.

18. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes, but as FaceBook can feed itself it can also eat itself. For example, you mentioned you left: What if you and several other of your friends left at the same time, someone on FB might leave because all their best friends have left. Then that person might start talking about FB's bad sides to their friends, so several more people leave. From there the amount of people who could leave is infinite. ;)

19. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I really liked Facebook when it was only accessible from an .edu address. As soon as my parents/aunts/uncles/and other family members were able to join it, it became more of a p.i.t.a. I went from 800 friends to 200 and ready to cancel everything that is Facebook.

20. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

and...I've now canceled it. I'm just "done" with everything that is Facebook.

21. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah who wants to interact with their immediate family on the internet -_- Its pretty stupid and pointless.

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The fact is FB has really nothing to keep attracting new people ... the only way they can make money is by selling people's information and everyone will eventually grow tired of that.

IMO they will not reach 1 billion users ... pretty much everyone who wants to be on FB is on there already. As for me ... I have never joined FB even though my parents tried to get me to join. (now they both wish they had not joined)

Almost everyone I know hates FB and says they do not go on it anymore ... like I said above ... FB is a passing fad that is fast wearing out it's appeal.

5 years from now ... a common statement will be ... I can't believe I was on Facebook and wasted so much time with it.

23. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

The day Ads (commercialize and social media) start bugging people on facebook, will be the beggining of the end...:rolleyes:

24. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Mmm, many people at my school (including myself) have stopped using Facebook regularly. I don't use it at all now. Even the most hardcore Facebook nerds are easing up on their usage - There simply isn't enough to do anymore. Everyone that I know that has been playing FB games like farmville have got sick of it and quit...

Their only hope is to reach new people before the current population on Facebook get board of it and move on.