Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dnw1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
I'm new to posting threads but I have a question that's really bugging me. I just saw a T-Mobile commercial where they practically dissed AT&T, but also dissed apple because they specifically mention the iPhone 4 not being able to make facetime calls without wifi. All of these iphone impersonators are making me sick!!! Does anybody know when this feature will be upgraded so i can shut all these apple haters up?

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
It's clearly ATT that prevents Apple from enabling FaceTime via 3G. Steve Jobs said they were still in talk, but I don't hold my breath.
However, if/when iPad gets a camera, it will most probably have 3G FaceTime enabled.
Now, I somewhat understand ATT. If FaceTime gets strong traction, it's going to kill the cell phone as a concept, and I suspect that Steve Jobs' ambition is no less than that. FaceTime is based on open standards so if FaceTimes takes off, it won't take long before other platforms (Windows, Android...) join the bandwagon.

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
When Steve Jobs says so.

All of these iphone impersonators are making me sick!

What? You can't withstand a little bit of mockery/criticism from the competitors?

dnw1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
When Steve Jobs says so.

What? You can't withstand a little bit of mockery/criticism from the competitors?

Lol!!! Sorry no I can't!! I've been so proud to be an apple consumer that when stuff like that happens i try to defend the original. Thanks for the info though.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
It's clearly ATT that prevents Apple from enabling FaceTime via 3G. Steve Jobs said they were still in talk, but I don't hold my breath.
However, if/when iPad gets a camera, it will most probably have 3G FaceTime enabled.
Now, I somewhat understand ATT. If FaceTime gets strong traction, it's going to kill the cell phone as a concept, and I suspect that Steve Jobs' ambition is no less than that. FaceTime is based on open standards so if FaceTimes takes off, it won't take long before other platforms (Windows, Android...) join the bandwagon.
Couldn't agree more. Steve Jobs does not like having to work with the carriers, and would much rather avoid them when he can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.