When will HD streaming for Netflix get fixed?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by TsMkLg068426, Nov 26, 2013.

1. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Same issue watching on my Mac and Apple TV at nights no Super HD just SD but I check my connection they are all fine, does Apple or Netflix care anymore?

2. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

I think Netflix is just overloaded with users. After around 10pm it seems to work fine

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

is this issue strickly with apple tv or is it a Netflix issue? I watched 'Flight' last night with zero problems in full HD from my xbox.

4. CraigM26 macrumors newbie

I don't think this is an Apple TV issue. The issue is even worse on the Netflix app on my Samsung TV. My connection is fine and i usually get over the 25mbps Comcast says plan has. I'm thinking it's a Comcast issue. All the other Apple TV channels work in HD with no issues.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Who do you have for an internet provider ?

6. TsMkLg068426 thread starter macrumors 65816

Charter Communications and everyone knows they are the worst cable company and ISP but I checked my download speed and it is perfect nothing wrong with it. Few years ago the same problem and this was before I had a Apple TV, I was watching Netflix through my Sony Blu Ray and when ever I checked download speed it was 6-10 Mbps instead of 30 Mbps but this time it is not that the download speed looks fine.

This seems to be a problem between Netflix and Apple TV.

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The general download speed could be very good but Charter might be throttling content for high bandwidth usage (i.e. They are throttling your movie and Netflix / ATV is reducing the image to SD in order to compensate).

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

It really does seem to be a network congestion issue--and not anything that has to do with your hardware. I have the problem continually with Amazon streaming. Works great during the day but in prime time I sometimes can't get anything better than 3 mbps even though my speed is in the 20s.

9. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I have no problem getting Super HD on my TiVo or my Roku 3. But my Apple TV as of late never locks into even the HD stream.

10. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

Same here Roku 3 is fine. ATV was fine until Nov 9th.

11. CraigM26 macrumors newbie

My friend found this today.

http://m.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/getting-hd-netflix/

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

13. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Netflix on different devices uses different URLs for content due to different encoding. Very occasionally I've had a Netflix "content missing" error message while trying to play something, and the URL actually has "appletv" in the path. They may even use different servers at the Netflix end, so it sounds like the issue is not with the local internet connection, but the bandwidth somewhere upstream. Maybe the content delivery network happens to have more easily accessible content for those other devices at the moment. I'm certain it's not a specifically Apple TV problem, as both of mine stream Super HD all the time. It's most likely to do with the bandwidth between the ISP and whichever Netflix servers they peer with.

14. Infocalypse1 macrumors newbie

No problems here

I have a 25mb DSL line and stream in super HD without problems. Believe me; I know the difference. I could only get SD when I had 3 mbs service and the picture was nearly unwatchable. My suspicion is that much of the reported problems arise from the nature of cable services, which are shared bandwidth. DSL is dedicated line width for the most part ( except when the ISP oversubscribed an area).

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

netflix will depend on your location and ISP

some ISP's will have a netflix CDN inside their network so you don't need to go to the internet for the content. others don't. also depends how far out in the boonies you are.

----------

after the central office, its all shared bandwidth