When will High Sierra be EOL?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Superspeed500, Jun 5, 2018.

?

For how long can we expect to get security and maintance updates for High Sierra?

1. ~1 Year

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. ~3 Years

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. ~5 Years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. More than 5 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not possible to predict

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. ~2 Years

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Superspeed500 macrumors regular

Superspeed500

I have an old MacBook Pro mid-2010 model that still works fine. The Mac will not support macOs Mojave and I am therfor stuck with High Sierra. I always try to use my hardware all the way out as long as there are security updates available for the software running on the hardware.

My question is therfor: For how long can we expect to get security and maintance updates for High Sierra?

2. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Your survey does not include the (likely) correct answer. In recent years Apple has continued to provide security updates for the previous 2 versions of OSX/MacOS, so assuming the pattern remains the same you can expect High Sierra to receive security updates from Apple for ~2 years once Mojave is released to the public (i.e. you should be covered until roughly September 2020).

3. SoCalReviews, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502a

It's an important question but as already mentioned in the previous reply and missing from your survey... you should be good for 2 years after the next release (Mojave) or until Fall of 2020 which gives you a lot of time to consider your options. The other concern will be application updates for your installed software which could run out before the High Sierra EOL. I have heard about and know many people who successfully run their Macs well beyond the OSX/MacOS EOL. The biggest issue for important updates is browser security. if you want updates and support beyond the EOL of MacOS HS and Safari you could use a third party browser such as Firefox which usually offers support well beyond the EOL of the OS.

4. Superspeed500 thread starter macrumors regular

Superspeed500

Thanks for feedback and reply. Added an option for ~2 years in survey.

Thanks for feedback and reply. Good to know. My primary browser on all of my devices is Firefox. Havn't used Safari as main browser in ages.