Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi !!!

What kind of program or application, demands a large use of the video card?

In what situations (or engaged in what type of work), can you can feel that 32 (or a 64) video memory card is not enough?

Thank you,

ignacio molina.
igmolinav

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Computer games are generally the driving force behind the advancement of video card technology.

If you are planning on playing the latest and greatest games in the next year or two, and want high framerates, you will need one of the new video cards like the Geforce6800 series or Radeon X800/X850 series with 256MB of VRAM.

On the other hand, a powerful graphics card is also needed with some apps like (I think) Final Cut and Motion. In these cases having a lot of VRAM is a bit more important than having the latest and greatest GPU (though it doesn't hurt).

Also, using a large display with a high native resolution will require more VRAM to run apps at the high res.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
Lord Blackadder said:
On the other hand, a powerful graphics card is also needed with some apps like (I think) Final Cut and Motion. In these cases having a lot of VRAM is a bit more important than having the latest and greatest GPU (though it doesn't hurt).

Final Cut Pro doesn't need a great video card it is completely reliant upon the processor. However Motion needs a good video card and benefits greatly from a Geforce6800 series or Radeon X800/X850 series video card. Also the GPU is just as important as the VRAM. a 128MB or 256MB Radeon 9200 won't even allow Motion to install and would suck for motion if you could even use it. But a 128MB Radeon 9600XT would be okay in motion.

Err

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
some OpenGL 2D and 3D CAD programs put a high demand on the GPU

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
ChrisFromCanada said:
Also the GPU is just as important as the VRAM.

It's far more important than the VRAM in most cases. To put it another way, if you managed to bolt 256MB onto a Radeon 9000, it would still be many times slower than a 256MB Radeon X800. Pretty much you want to just forget about the VRAM and focus on the card model instead. Newer cards tend to have more VRAM anyway, but if there's any question--such as a 128MB 9800 vs. a 256MB 9600--go with the higher card model.

I've heard that low amounts of VRAM can make Exposé slow if you've got lots of windows open, but I never managed to choke my 64MB 9600 that way, and obviously my X800 has no problems either.

--Eric

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Thank you to everybody : ) !!! - Please one more question.

Hi !!!

Thank you very much to everybody for their previous help !!!

If I were to buy a laptop, and use a program like archicad, will I be ok with a 12" ibook or must I get the 12" powerbook ?

Excuse my little knowledge about the subject, what is GPU?

Thank you,

ignacio molina.
igmolinav.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
ill go with driving a large, high resolution monitor. on my PB with 32mb vram when i hook it up to my 20" wide screen dell monitor the PB has trouble with expose, the windows do not move smothly. but on the 12" screen of the pb it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.