When will IGZO be in rMBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rtr1985, Oct 28, 2013.

1. rtr1985 macrumors 6502

Any guesses to how soon this tech will be integrated into the rMBP line?

And do you think it will only be in the 15" model?

2. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I think it could be as soon as two years from now, maybe with Skylake? The real question I have that comes with IGZO is about the nice 3200 x 1800 display. Think they're going to go with that, maybe make it retina with a base of 1600x900

3. rtr1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Would like to buy a rMBP now, but if they release an IGZO refresh in mid-2014 . . . :mad::mad:

4. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Okay, real question.

How long are you willing to wait? Imagine if they don't come out with it next year, then it could be next year. Then it could be the year after that. And on and on until you realize you just never got that MacBook Pro because the next one might be that mythic IGZO.

5. El Salvador macrumors member

Right now Í wouldn't wait for IGZO at all. ATM it's very doubtful if they move to IGZO in 2014 and even if they do, it’s still a first generation product which obviously comes with certain flaws. I’d start waiting after they released their first IGZO Macs and go for the 2nd generation models.

6. katorga macrumors regular

I like syaing IZGO

All of the IZGO panel's I've seen are 16:9, does Apple have enough laptop volume to commission 16:10 production (or is it so easy to manufacture different size panels that it doesn't matter)?

7. rtr1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's whey I would like to just buy now. With that being said, if that particular refresh is/was in the pipeline for the next iteration, I would rather have waited. Outside of that, I am fine with selling and upgrading in the future.

8. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

Nobody knows when IGZO is coming to the rMBP, sadly.

9. rtr1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

You're a 100% right, though. The present value of using what is out now is better than waiting and waiting and waiting--especially if you're savvy enough to sell and upgrade at opportune intervals.

10. Atomic Walrus, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

This is definitely my strategy from now on. I kept my 2010 MBP for, well, going on 3.5 years at this point and I regret it. I would have had a much better time selling and upgrading each year, even if I had to take a decent percentage loss each time. I'd have the same machine I have now (the 15 rMBP) and wouldn't have ended up spending any more money in that time period. More importantly I wouldn't have been stuck on Arrandale for over three years, so any potential loss I'd take on the sell/upgrade cycle would have been worth it to me. (Think about this: If I'd spent $800 to upgrade every year, and that seems like a pretty big resale loss, I'd still have only spent an additional $2400 to get to a Haswell rMBP... which is exactly what I did anyway, except I had to stick with an older machine the entire time).

To stick to the original topic, IMO we'll almost certainly see IGZO in MBPs next year. This has been the ongoing rumor for a while in fact (most reports about Apple and IGZO point to 2014). Barring any exceptional circumstances (yields on odd resolution panels or issues discovered with the current panels in the wild) I'd say IGZO and Broadwell will appear in the same machine in mid to late 2014. Intel's release timeline for Broadwell chips will be the actual deciding factor for how late in the year this refresh appears.

Haswell's low load optimizations with Broadwell's 30% full load power consumption drop and IGZO's better power efficiency will be an impressive combination to see. This hypothetical machine could be configured for major battery life gains at Haswell performance levels or potentially see major CPU performance gains at current generation battery life. Or something in between. This part's up to Apple, but either way the opportunities for gains are big when you put those three elements together.

Apple isn't known to be an early adopter, but if IGZO is as good as the early reports indicate they also won't be holding off on implementing it. We're seeing analysis of the IGZO panels Dell is using suggesting that their factory calibration is just as good as the current IPS panels Apple uses, while the panel is able to hit significantly higher brightness (~20% brighter). If these results are accurate I'd guess the only thing that held Apple back was that at the size, resolution, and ratio they wanted no panels would have been available in large quantities in time for launch.

11. rtr1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting indeed.

Another possibility is that a 2014 IGZO will be reserved for the rumored 12" retina macbook air. The MBA is definitely due to be retinafied, and its form-factor would demand IGZO tech to maintain current battery life numbers.