When will iLife '09 and iWork '09 Become 64-bit?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Maserati7200, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    With snow leopard, the OS, and basic apps (finder, quicktime, mail, address book, etc.) will become 64-bit. However, all iWork and iLife 09' apps will still remain 32-bit. Do you think Apple will release 64-bit versions of them soon? I would think that they would either have a cheap 64-bit upgrade of iWork/iLife 09' or when iWork/iLife '10 or '11 (or later) comes out, it will be 64-bit.

Thoughts?

2. poppero macrumors member

i don't know if it will have sense spend money for a similar upgrade, i would not...
    iLife or iWork will not significantly increase their performances in 64-bit.

3. str1f3 macrumors 68000

If you're an iWork user there won't be any significant performance increase with the possible exception of Keynote. iLife would not really benefit with the exception of iMovie. I'm not sure whether iMovie is 32 or 64.

The main advantage it would bring is that there is one less app running in a 32 bit environment so we could make the move to full 64.

The problem is that even with Snow Leopard, there are still a few other apps that are running in 32 bit. The biggest example of this is iTunes. To me, it's far more important that iTunes make the move because it's so slow and needs to be rewritten.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Would OpenCL help with iMovie encoding times?

There's been a lot of chat about how OpenCL unlocks the graphics card's power but nowhere does it say specifically HOW.

5. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Theoretically, yes.