When will iMac be quad-core?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pablol, Sep 14, 2009.

1. pablol macrumors member

I'd really like to get an iMac, but I don't wanna buy one until it's quad-core. Do you think the next revision will be, and if not, when?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

What do you do on your computer? I really doubt most people need quad core power. In fact, I have a feeling most don't even use dual core processors

3. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

I doubt it. Quad core iMacs may be feasible when Intel brings out mobile (laptop) quad-core processor chips as the iMac uses a tweaked version that's somewhat closer to a laptop than a desktop processor.

I suspect part of the issue is in keeping it cool enough so that it doesn't require a monster PSU or fan setup. So for now, it's dual core processors.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Late 2010 or early 2011 depending on Intel. Seriously, there are dozens of threads about this...

5. wesleyh macrumors 6502

They'll be quad core before years' end. People saying 2011 are delusional, apple cannot afford to wait that long to make the switch to quad core. There are now sub $800-$1000 core i7/i5 machines available that absolutely destroy the imac. Apple cannot stand by idly any more. Mobile cpu's are not advancing fast enough to keep up with desktop cpu's. The imac is a desktop computer.

They will use the core i5 together with a redesign.

6. NintendoFan macrumors regular

That is not very likely at all.

So you're guessing Sandy Bridge?

7. pablol thread starter macrumors member

I'm actually using it for Logic Pro and Ableton Live, so yes, I do need as much CPU as possible. And no, I don't want to buy a Mac Pro. Don't need PCI slots and prefer the small footprint of the iMac.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Stop spreading that crap to innocent people. You know that's not going to happen or the possibility is very tiny, almost none. While I would love iMac with desktop CPU, it's just not likely. OS X is the thing which sells Macs, not hardware...

Yup or 32nm Clarksfield which is likely coming in mid 2010. Sandy Bridge concentrates in mobile CPUs if I remember correctly.

9. thatdarnfish macrumors regular

Why do you believe that there is little to no chance that Apple will redesign the iMac so as to allow for desktop CPUs?

10. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

It'd be feasible by the end of the year or early 2010, but it would be made a lot easier if apple let the iMac put a little weight on to help with cooling, even the current chassis has had a few issues with inadequate cooling.

Some high end gaming notebooks have managed to make use of the i7, which is particularly insane but goes to show that cooling a CPU like that in a imac like chassis isn't absolutely impossible.

A little bit of "apple can't do any wrong, YOUR the ones that have the wrong ideas" perhaps?

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Because:

- Heat; This is the most important thing. No way iMac could handle over 65W unless the make it three times bigger than it is now
    - Power consumption; Apple advertises Macs as "green computers" so that would ruin the idea
    - People would want desktop GPUs, more RAM slots and HD bays as well because iMac wouldn't be a "real desktop" without them

I'm not saying I wouldn't like iMac with desktop parts but I'm not hoping for one because I don't see it coming... :(

Has Apple been an extreme computer manufacturer? No. Dell or other big manufacturers don't make extreme computers. Those laptops have like 8 fans, are 10cm tall and weight almost same as desktop.