When will iMac prices be lowered?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BlackCatBone, Jan 15, 2008.

1. BlackCatBone macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I'm a Windows guy getting ready for my first Mac purchase. I'm looking at the 24" iMac. Does Apple customarily lower their hardware prices at known intervals? When will the next price reduction occur? I don't want to jump in if prices are going down in the near future.

Thanks...
    BCB

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Price drops are rare, Apple generally updates with new components rather than dropping their prices.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Apple just lowered the price with the last update (August 2007) so it probably won't be adjusted again for a while.

4. BlackCatBone thread starter macrumors newbie

Revised question

Thank you. That leads me to revise my question: Is the iMac due for a hardware upgrade anytime soon?

Thanks,
    BCB

5. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

6. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

iMac prices are pretty cheap. I dont know what you are waiting for.
    I remember when I got my 17" iMac 1.83 Core Duo for $1699 and that was a good price.

Now you can get a 20", with core 2 duo, etc. for $100 less.

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Hahaha! I remember paying $2100 for my 1Ghz iMac with 768 RAM and an 80gb hard drive.

Isn't that the truth... however, I am hoping that waiting just a few weeks longer will get me a slightly faster processor, a slightly faster graphics card, and a non-first generation model without all of the 'quirks' that come with.

8. vtprinz macrumors 6502

That's kind of like saying the Mac Pro is a steal because it's $200 cheaper than the original Apple IIe sold for (in today's dollars). Doesn't make $2800 any easier to come by....

9. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Not really. The Apple IIe really has no comparison to the MacPro, they are years of age different.

The new iMac compared to the iMac im comparing is 2 years, not even. At its already dropped $200 + dollars and you get alot more for your money.

BTW the MacPro is a steal, I love this thing.