When will iPhone 5 pre-orders begin?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bgribin, Sep 27, 2011.

1. bgribin macrumors regular

Next Tuesday? The following Tuesday? Anyone have a guess?

Additionally, in the past, you've been able to reserve one for in-store pickup or pre-order one for home delivery. Have those gone live on different dates in the past?

Does anyone have dates for how soon after the iPhone announcements pre-orders went live? (3G, 3GS, 4?) Or iPad?

(I'm talking about on Apple.com, folks.)

2. I3eXa macrumors 6502

they already did...didn't you get the memo? :D

I'm betting they will give it a week or so and then start shipping in a few weeks.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

We'll find out on Oct. 4th. Until then, nobody knows anything for certain.

4. bgribin thread starter macrumors regular

Ah come on! How about a guess? Old data? :confused: :apple: :D

5. Krandor macrumors 6502

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

2-3 weeks after announcement they start shipping and become available for sale.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

I would say the day before the announcement.

8. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

No one knows yet!!! Why make another "let's guess this..." thread? Just wait until tuesday and you will know everything.

9. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I say preorders will go live that day or the next morning.

I don't think apple wants the same mess that happened the last two years, with two additional carriers in the US I think they will want preorders to start right away and not have a planned date that will just have millions of people trying to order online all at once. I'd they announce preorders tuesday people would order as word of mouth got out and it would be a lot less stress on everyone's servers and hopefully they would all stay up this time

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Great. People asking for guesses, then crying when that made up date isn't correct.

No thanks.

11. bgribin thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone have announcement and pre-order dates from previous iPhone and iPad releases? I'd think that'd be a pretty good indicator of what to expect.

Here's what happened with the iPhone 4:
    Event: Monday, June 7
    Pre-Orders: Tuesday, June 15
    Sale: Thursday, June 24

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

AT&T and Apple are blocking their retail employees to taking vacation during Mid October. That's like only 11-12 days after the keynote.

Apple needs to have 4-5 days to prepare for all of those massive pre-orders. You have to also add the fact that apple will be shipping these from China, so Fedex and UPS guys will need 4-5 days deliver from Shenzhen.

By adding all of these dates up, the iPhone 5/4S will be released on October 14th. Keynote is on October 4th.

My guess is people will be able to pre-order iPhone 4/5S starting first week of October to expect to be released on Mid October.

Also, don't be surprised if apple does same thing like they did with iPad 2. They might take pre-order, but they won't deliver to the house on launch day. They want massive lines.

13. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

14. CompletelyApple macrumors newbie

I'm thinking pre-orders will start by Oct. 7th. Phone will come by 14th. It has to come by the 14th because the vacation window ends afterwards. Would be pointless to have a vacation block if the phone isn't coming until AFTER those two weeks.