Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
There is unconfirmed speculation about a 32GB model coming out at the end of the year, which is certainly possible, but such an upgrade would lead to the same energy consumption issues due to which the current model ended up not getting it. Low-consumption LPDDR4 support on Intel chips suitable for the MBP won't be available until 2018. I agree that a RAM bump is long overdue, and it will eventually come out for sure, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it right now.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It's been at 16GB for how long now?

Well never really as all the rMBP's have soldered ram so you'll only be able to have apples configurations and I don't see them putting more than 32gb in a laptop for the foreseeable future.

As above there were technical reasons for the current limit and 32gb may come in the next update but also it certainly may be 2018 before it happens. 64gb or 128gb is five years off at least i their notebooks if you ask me.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
We will get 32GB when low-power DDR4 is supported by Intel CPUs (or when Apple decides that having 32GB of DDR4 is worth taking a hit to battery life). About 64GB or 128GB — once we have appropriate technology. But the RAM needs to get much faster though for it to be useful. There is not much point in having 128GB of RAM if you only have a dual-channel CPU. If you indeed that much RAM, you most likely also need a multi-CPU workstation setup.

What I believe is much more likely is the industry moving from the traditional cached storage model (don't forget that RAM is jut a fast mirror for your HDD/SSD) and just have fast persistent storage. Once technologies like 3D Point become market-ready, there will be very little need to even have the concept of RAM in the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.