When will Leapord come standard on new Macbooks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thadchr, May 29, 2007.

1. thadchr macrumors member

thadchr

I'm quite anxious to buy a labtop for college, but I don't think it would be wise to invest right before Leapord becomes available. Does anyone know exactly when it will be released?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Apple always ships their computers with the newest available OS. Right now thats Tiger.

When Leopard becomes available, they'll ship it with Leopard.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Well, not "always". For a few days to a few weeks, the stock on hand likely contains the older OS, and the new one is available for ~$20 to purchasers of those computers.

If you need the laptop to start college with in September, I would buy when you're ready, and just eat the fact that you'll probably have to shell out $100 for Leopard (or less, with edu discount). I wouldn't count on getting it before school starts.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, but it would be safe to buy 8 days before the release (usually the given time) , as you would get a guarantee of Leopard free :)

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

edu pricing is $69.

7. thadchr thread starter macrumors member

thadchr

8. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Only online. Of course, I preordered Tiger with edu pricing, and it arrived the day before release. :-D

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No... the day Leopard is "shipping" is the exact day that every Mac purchased will have Leopard. It is the exact day that all the Macs in Apple stores will have Leopard installed on them.

As for Best Buy or other third party vendors... well who orders from them.

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

right, cause there are no edu discounts on all software in-store.

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

No often Macs in the supply chain and in stores don't have the new OS factory installed. They often don't know which machines are arriving with the new OS and so they don't even bother to tape NFR copies to the boxes. They will offer a form to send for the disk. The only machines in the Apple Stores to have Leopard installed on them will be the display machines so that you can use it.

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It was supposed to be sarcasm but reading it again it looks hard to identify.

13. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

The way it has been done for the past few OSs is after the OS is announced it will usually ship about ten business days later. If you buy after the announcement and before the ship date you can receive a form and all you had to pay was shipping on the OS. Then the day it ships it will be available to buy in store and any new machines shipped out to stores or to customers will have it on it. For the box stock that is already out in the stores or warehouses NFR or " Drop In DVDs" are put in the boxes for the customer to install by reps from Apple. This is done in the Apple Stores, CompUSA or any other third party. It is tracked by serial number so they know which ones will get it. The only ones that dont get it are any old discontinued stock that has yet to be sold in the stores. I know this for sure .... :cool: Now this is the way it was in the past... whether this is the way it will be rolled out for Leopord is up to the big man.

Kevin :apple:

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Maybe they did that for Tiger, and Jaguar, but they didn't do that for Panther. Panther didn't come with Drop in DVDs.