HomePod When will Mac fully support Stereo HomePods?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Polaroid, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Can only do stereo via iTunes which is annoying, anyone know if there's any news on when we can play any Mac sound source via stereo? :/

2. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Also, the lag time when playing video, youtube, or FInal Cut makes the Homepod useless currently for Mac video playback, whether 1 or 2 Homepods.

3. Polaroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Works fine for iTunes, and I have no lag when streaming to one HomePod.

4. gigaguy macrumors 65816

There is no lag with iTunes, thus why I did not mention iTunes. Most other video sources, lag.

5. MathewM macrumors newbie

MacOS doesn't support stereo airplay over Homepods outside of iTunes. Read his question before you answer.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 31, 2018 ---
    To better answer your question: I see no reason why it shouldn't be implemented system wide. Stereo playback works via bluetooth so why not Airplay. It wouldn't be perfect especially if you're editing video (synch issues) but for Youtube and general web viewing it would be adequate. The question is if Apple sees it as a viable thing to implement. Unfortunately they have positioned the Homepod as a stand alone device aimed more at iOS users than Mac. This is short sided because of how well the Homepods function in stereo mode.

6. iregret macrumors 6502a

I don’t have a second HomePod but if you were to mirror your desktop to AppleTV would the homepods be in stereo that way?

7. argentum47 macrumors regular

argentum47

iOS already supports stereo HomePod for audio from any app (music, youtube, websites, etc.) without any problems. The reason why we don't have proper stereo HomePod support in macOS is simply because of Apple's neglect, not because of any technical reason.

Now with iTunes going away in the next version of macOS, wonder if they'll keep the stereo HomePod "feature" somewhere?