Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CesnaPilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2018
I love my MacBook, and love the idea of the Surface has, but will never get move to Windows. Is there any hope for a MacBook performance laptop with a removable screen that turns into a tablet?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
There are some rumours that Apple is working on a UI framework that would allow one to support both iOS and macOS interfaces. I don't believe that the ultimate goal of such framework would be to create a 2-in-1 Macs, rather to simplify creating of cross-platform apps for developers, but it might open a path towards convertibles, if Apple so chooses.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
macOS needs to be rewritten for desktop / tablet adaptation. I don’t think Apple sees any value in doing that at present.

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
I love the Mac for what it is, and I love the iPad for where it's going.

I'm not sure I'd be too interested in a Surface like hybrid with OSX?

Some people say it's the best of the iPad and the best of a Mac, but in my opinion, it would be a compromised non portable tablet and an ergonomic disaster of OSX

Apple Fritter

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
Not a chance in hell. First, Apple is afraid of iPad sales going downhill (just like not putting LTE into MacBooks, much more profitable to have folks buy iPhones for tethering). Second, it would mean admitting Microsoft was right. Neither one is really acceptable.

I own a Surface Book as well as a MacBook and now have to carry both, which is really cumbersome.

The concept is great and there is also no need for a special macOS touch version. Windows works just fine in normal mode on a tablet as well.

And everybody who abhors the ergonomics for whatever reason would simply have the option to not purchase one.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
First, Apple is afraid of iPad sales going downhill (just like not putting LTE into MacBooks, much more profitable to have folks buy iPhones for tethering).

In the world where one can readily buy a cheap USB sim-card adapter (which is 100% compatible with the MBP), this statement doesn't make much sense. And sure, if you have a good data plan, why not tether your phone (doesn't have to be iPhone, Android works as well)? Certainly cheaper than getting a separate data plan for the laptop...

Apple Fritter

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
In the world where one can readily buy a cheap USB sim-card adapter (which is 100% compatible with the MBP), this statement doesn't make much sense. And sure, if you have a good data plan, why not tether your phone (doesn't have to be iPhone, Android works as well)? Certainly cheaper than getting a separate data plan for the laptop...

In a world where people with a preference for highly integrated and aesthetically pleasing Notebooks like to stick all kinds of adapters into their computer just to access the internet, that would be awesome I'm sure. With another dongle of course, since I haven't seen that many USB-C LTE sticks in the wild.

Or they could just use an internal modem, like they do with their Wifi regularly. But maybe you'd rather have an adapter for that as well.

In my world a computer is useless without Internet, so it has to be available at all times. Otherwise it's just a dumb brick.

I also don't know why I should drain my iPhone's already miniscule battery power and end up with a dead phone just because I want to connect to the world.

On top of that, it would probably be optional, as with any other computer manufacturer. Funnily enough, it wouldn't hurt you if it were available to others, but since you don't see it for yourself you have to take a stance against it I guess… *shrugs*

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
On top of that, it would probably be optional, as with any other computer manufacturer. Funnily enough, it wouldn't hurt you if it were available to others, but since you don't see it for yourself you have to take a stance against it I guess… *shrugs*

I do not take a stance agains including a sim modem in a Macbook, frankly, I couldn't care less (unless it compromises my user experience). I do take a stance agains absurd claims like "Apple doesn't include it because they want you to buy an iPhone" though.

Reactions: bensisko

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The question:
"When will MacBook have removable screen?"

Answer:
It won't.

Apple Fritter

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
[…] I do take a stance agains absurd claims like "Apple doesn't include it because they want you to buy an iPhone" though.

If you see any other reason to not include a 3$ part to enable the direct use of the most needed interface today, feel free to chime in. If I were the manufacturer, it'd make a whole lot more sense to push a second device for that. It's just that no other manufacturer would get away with it and / or doesn't have any phones on offer. No idea what's particularly absurd about that.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Can't say as I would be interested in one
I had a Surface at work and quickly dumped it for a Dell laptop as it just didn't fit my working style at all
The idea of a Surface was much more appealing than actually using one

In fact, I typically use my 2011 MacBook Air more than my new Dell laptop for most things at work

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I love my MacBook, and love the idea of the Surface has, but will never get move to Windows. Is there any hope for a MacBook performance laptop with a removable screen that turns into a tablet?

Hopefully never.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have a Surface Book. I like the idea of a detachability more than I like the actual implementation. I suspect if did more drawing or reading in bed I would like it more. But, Windows is a work OS for me. So the things I do that are OK in touch are not all that common, like Word, Powerpoint, coding, etc..

My daughter is an artist and student, and for her it works well. She can do drawing with the pressure sensitive pen and is very good with it. (I draw stick figures with it.) Also, as a student she likes being able to take notes by hand and then have OneNote convert them to text.

So IMHO it depends on your usage as to whether a two in one device is for you. If you are like me and spend a lot of time in the terminal window typing in code in vi and running programs, it is not a great fit. If you are student that likes to write notes or draw diagrams, or a creative type, then having the pen and detachable display is a dream.

One more thing. The Surface Book is miles ahead of my iPad Pro when it comes to use of the keyboard. Every keyboard I have tried with iPad Pros was a poor compromise. And don't get me started on having to touch the screen! Also, the Surface Book's keyboard is closer to the 2015 and earlier rMBPs. Nice amount of key movement and big (for a 13" laptop) keys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple Fritter

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
So the mere availability would inconvenience you?

Not at all. I simply would never buy one. Apple has already crippled the MBP. Imagine what it could have done if it maintained the case design of the 2012-2015 models - a real keyboard that doesn't constantly require replacement, a battery that could actually survive more than an hour or two of real work, ports that don't all require a dongle or new cable, retaining magsafe, a card slot, graphics that aren't crippled by a maximum 35 watt TDP because that's all the chassis can handle cooling-wise, and so on.

But if you want a crippled MBP, by all means - go for it.

Apple Fritter

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
So IMHO it depends on your usage as to whether a two in one device is for you. If you are like me and spend a lot of time in the terminal window typing in code in vi and running programs, it is not a great fit. If you are student that likes to write notes or draw diagrams, or a creative type, then having the pen and detachable display is a dream.

That's exactly what I'm trying to point out. Everybody has different needs when it comes to user interfaces. That's why I can't believe the amount of people dissing the mere existence of an additional product line as a whole just because they can't see how it would fit their personal use case.

And as you stated, the Surface Book has a phenomenal keyboard. Also, the battery life is stellar compared to what Apple's got on offer.

Not at all. I simply would never buy one.

"Hopefully never" goes way above and beyond that, hence my interjection. ;)

Apple has already crippled the MBP. Imagine what it could have done if it maintained the case design of the 2012-2015 models - a real keyboard that doesn't constantly require replacement, a battery that could actually survive more than an hour or two of real work, ports that don't all require a dongle or new cable, retaining magsafe, a card slot, graphics that aren't crippled by a maximum 35 watt TDP because that's all the chassis can handle cooling-wise, and so on.

But if you want a crippled MBP, by all means - go for it.

Oh I'd rather not. I agree on all points above, which severely reduce function for most people. On the other hand, the option of a detachable display wouldn't do that. Those who don't see the point simply wouldn't buy it, no harm done.

Look at the Surface line, there's a Surface Pro, a Surface Book and a Surface laptop. Just a matter of choice according to personal preference. And as a consumer, I'd always prefer more choice, no matter if I could use it in my particular situation.

Reactions: jerryk

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
That's exactly what I'm trying to point out. Everybody has different needs when it comes to user interfaces. That's why I can't believe the amount of people dissing the mere existence of an additional product line as a whole just because they can't see how it would fit their personal use case.

And as you stated, the Surface Book has a phenomenal keyboard. Also, the battery life is stellar compared to what Apple's got on offer.

"Hopefully never" goes way above and beyond that, hence my interjection. ;)

Oh I'd rather not. I agree on all points above, which severely reduce function for most people. On the other hand, the option of a detachable display wouldn't do that. Those who don't see the point simply wouldn't buy it, no harm done.

Look at the Surface line, there's a Surface Pro, a Surface Book and a Surface laptop. Just a matter of choice according to personal preference. And as a consumer, I'd always prefer more choice, no matter if I could use it in my particular situation.

The problem is that the "option" of a removable screen on a MBP would render it an even worse joke performance-wise than it already is. But if that's what you want, have at it.

On a Macbook, the chances are high no would notice. Or care.

Apple Fritter

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
What leads you to that conclusion? Surface Books come with 8th generation quad-core CPUs, a GTX 1060 and a good 13-14 hr battery life. I fail to see the potential for a downgrade, honestly. Quite the other way around, if at all.

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.