Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
2019 at the very earliest, but my guess is later.

There is no announced integrated Thunderbolt support for Cannonlake in 2018, so definitely not 2018. I mention 2019 as a remote possibility, since the details for Ice Lake for 2019 are quite sketchy right now, but I'm not optimistic for Ice Lake either. So maybe it's the following generation (2020) or later.

I couldn't wait that long so I decided to buy a 2017 MacBook, since Kaby Lake got 4K DRM support and 4K 10-bit HDR hardware decode support.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Even the top-end i7-7Y75 doesn’t really have enough PCIe lanes to properly support Thunderbolt 3;

https://ark.intel.com/products/95441/Intel-Core-i7-7Y75-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

I imagine this is what’s limiting TB support on these new MacBook models.
Intel has just not built in native support for it. It's coming later to all Intel consumer CPUs/chipsets in the future, but they haven't said exactly when. AFAIK it will also be royalty free at that time too.

At that point, expect Thunderbolt 3 to gain wider acceptance as stuff like MacBooks and various Windows machines get it, even lower end ones, esp. since it doesn't actually require additional ports. Pretty much anything that has USB C could implement Thunderbolt 3 for almost free.

I'm guessing 2020.

Reactions: BeatCrazy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.