When will MacConnection, Macmall, etc. have built-to-order?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jun 12, 2009.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone knew when the stores listed here:

http://www.pcprices.net/macbookpro17.shtml

Particularly, MacConnection, would start carrying the built-to-order 17'' MBPs.

I wanted the 3.06 processor, anti-glare screen and 7200 RPM HDD.

On the pre-WWDC MBP, they carried them in-stock, but they don't have them yet for the updated ones.

Any ideas?

2. ScottL macrumors newbie

I'd be more worried about the track record of those places (check reseller ratings.com).

I'm about to buy a mac and was going to use newegg, but they no longer sell mac computers.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh... they're both Authorized Resellers. Hence, they should have BTOs, as they do for every other model.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It usually takes them about a month to a month in a half before the trickle in. Also, remember they will not have every configuration, even some that they previously had...

5. ScottL macrumors newbie

MY comment was about their service, not selection. Personally I'll only deal with very reliable mail order places e.g. new egg (I'm sure there are others). Money is MUCH cheaper then aggrivation. Other people feel differently.

See this thread as I'm not the only one feels that way:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=718287

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What...There are plenty of people that don't like MacMall. It is acknowledged by most that their customer service department is not the best, but plenty of people, myself included, have had no problem. The thread that you pointed to has:
    A. The OP, Soverign concerned about three phone calls from them and is now happy with a tracking number
    B. Old-Wiz - posting the reseller ratings link
    C. Me, see above
    D. Peace, positive experience
    E. Ricanlegend - who posted advice that may have not been that intuitive after all

I'd say it's a split decision at best...Mind you, we are talking about five people...

7. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Thanks!

Do you mind if I ask how you know this by any chance? Is it based on previous experience?

I really want to order a 17 MBP with the anti-glare, and the 3.06 ghz processor right now but I will wait if a better deal comes through.

I don't have to pay tax if I buy it via MacConnection, and that can save 200+.

I need to get this thing before August 15, so if they don't start carrying the options then I will have to buy it via ADC.

8. ScottL macrumors newbie

SOrry for the confusion. I'm new and didn't realize it was well known about their customer service (and reseller ratings has lots more numbers if you wish). Guess it just depends on what your tolerance for risk is, and how much the savings is worth it to you.

"plenty of people, myself included, have had no problem"

Sure and lots of people who buy e.g. maxtor or western digital external hard drives get ones that are not defective ;-)

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I can attest to the latter... Your evidence to back it up was just not so supportive. It's not like MacMall is a scam, they just have not so good customer service, but there are a lot of people that buy from them, knowing that their customer service is not so great, but because their prices are lower, we take the risk. There are also those, that unknowingly do it, for them, shame on them for not doing research.