Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Something I've just noticed... the iconic original iPhone design is just about dead & buried, yet the logo on MacRumors is missing the notch :eek: so when is MacRumors going to get with the times? :D

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Something I've just noticed... the iconic original iPhone design is just about dead & buried, yet the logo on MacRumors is missing the notch :eek: so when is MacRumors going to get with the times? :D

One phone model has a notch, so the other design is dead and buried???
[doublepost=1526890594][/doublepost]

I’m assuming they’re referring to the forum logo perhaps???

On an unrelated note... nice avatar picture. Beautiful lady. And no I don’t mean that in the sleazy way.

Reactions: Gravydog316

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
One phone model has a notch, so the other design is dead and buried???
[doublepost=1526890594][/doublepost]

I’m assuming they’re referring to the forum logo perhaps???

Yeah forum logo :D

Ahh I meant the way Apple's going, the iconic Home Button design's being fazed out.

It's the Notch Age now. ;)

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Yeah forum logo :D

Ahh I meant the way Apple's going, the iconic Home Button design's being fazed out.

It's the Notch Age now. ;)

Yes, they may be going that direction. But at this point I’m not sure whether this is a model design or a product line design yet.

There are ways around the notch issue. And it’s been around for more than 50 years. A simple technique. And the notch could have easily been unnecessary.

There actually is absolutely no need for a speaker to produce sound that you would hear when the headset is placed next to your ear.

I can make a 2 x 4 board, a table, or a window play music that sounds better than the HomePod. It’s simple.

So taking 50+ year old technology and putting it into the iPhone would have eliminated any need to design the screen to work around a speaker.

As soon as an Apple engineer discovers this technology, the notch may disappear.

If they don’t happen to learn this simple technique, another viable option would be to simply have a fully working screen with a small hole in it that might appear like a dead pixel.

The other option is locating the speaker just slightly into the top edge of the phone. Not on the face. But the top edge.

The camera can easily be worked around. It can go numerous places. But if they absolutely wanted it in the screen area, that technology has existed for a long time. It doesn’t have to interfere with the visible image on the screen.

There are several techniques to accomplish this. And eventually an Apple engineer may stumble on one.

I’ve seen it work. And worked with it. More than a decade ago.

I’m going to assume that if I’ve done it, that Apple can too. They just need to get out of the confines of thinking within the limitations of traditional techniques.

And yes... I did design circuits and technology in a prior life (not literally - just a different stage in life).

Some of the things that are common today appeared on my workbench first. As for which... that is subject to a NDA.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Yes, they may be going that direction. But at this point I’m not sure whether this is a model design or a product line design yet.

There are ways around the notch issue. And it’s been around for more than 50 years. A simple technique. And the notch could have easily been unnecessary.

There actually is absolutely no need for a speaker to produce sound that you would hear when the headset is placed next to your ear.

I can make a 2 x 4 board, a table, or a window play music that sounds better than the HomePod. It’s simple.

So taking 50+ year old technology and putting it into the iPhone would have eliminated any need to design the screen to work around a speaker.

As soon as an Apple engineer discovers this technology, the notch may disappear.

If they don’t happen to learn this simple technique, another viable option would be to simply have a fully working screen with a small hole in it that might appear like a dead pixel.

The other option is locating the speaker just slightly into the top edge of the phone. Not on the face. But the top edge.

The camera can easily be worked around. It can go numerous places. But if they absolutely wanted it in the screen area, that technology has existed for a long time. It doesn’t have to interfere with the visible image on the screen.

There are several techniques to accomplish this. And eventually an Apple engineer may stumble on one.

I’ve seen it work. And worked with it. More than a decade ago.

I’m going to assume that if I’ve done it, that Apple can too. They just need to get out of the confines of thinking within the limitations of traditional techniques.

And yes... I did design circuits and technology in a prior life (not literally - just a different stage in life).

Some of the things that are common today appeared on my workbench first. As for which... that is subject to a NDA.
Ok, let's find a middle-gound: The Notch logo, with your post in fine print beneath it?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Ok, let's find a middle-gound: The Notch logo, with your post in fine print beneath it?

Lol. I’m fine with any logo.

I’m a bit nastalgic at times. Maybe they could model a logo after something like this:

95900960-7F94-4617-A763-8D9918767667.jpeg

Yeah, I agree. It’s ugly. But... that charming kind of ugly.

I could probably draw up something more attractive lol.

A pay telephone shaped like an Apple might be appropriate. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.