When will Maps be real GPS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisisarcadia, Nov 13, 2008.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

Maps is super slow and takes forever to pinpoint the exact location. Why doesn't maps use satellites instead of cell towers? Google earth already has street view in it why doesn't Maps. There is a really good App that is out that uses the GPS's functions almost fully. It's called GPSLite, it is really good i can't explain all of the features but it is a very useful app that has almost everything Maps has and more.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't know.

Mine does and it's very fast.

3. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

For me, Maps pinpoints my location faster than my GPS does...

Also, Maps doesn't only use cell towers (unless you have an iPod touch or old iPhone...because GPS is a hardware upgrade). Maps uses both satellites and cell towers, unlike most GPS which only uses satellites. This allows Maps to pinpoint you faster than most GPS systems.

4. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The maps app uses the cell tower to locate you. If you have ever had a GPS system, you will know it takes a little bit for it to find you, and most GPS systems have an external antenna, as of course the iPhone doesn't.

The phone locates between 1 and 3 cell towers, usually 3, and will put you where it thinks is the middle. THEN, the GPS will locate you in that area, which makes it much faster to locate you, this the name aGPS (Assisted GPS)

I find the maps app to be speedy. If you think it's slow, it might just be you, or you could always try a restore. OR, just get a GPS system if you need it that much. You bought the phone to use as a phone, not a navigation system. ;)

6. svndmvn Guest

gpslite..can't find it,does it come with any maps?all I find is motionx gpslite and it's kinda useless..

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

8. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

GPS on an iphone while in a car is basically useless. Its not good enough to track your exact location because the software running it... sucks.

Its good when you are on foot though looking for something to eat or whatever..

Basically never use it.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, it's not suited for a DRIVER to use it, no. But as a passenger I've used it many times to find hotels, airports, and rental car offices. As long as there's a second person in the car to follow along and read the instructions then it works great.

I use it a LOT when I'm traveling and it's always super-accurate.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I use it when i drive, it works pretty good. Of course my car has a glass roof though...

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I use it while driving and it works great. I search for the directions to where I'm going and then I just follow the highlighted road.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Have you actually used a 3G phone? Only the First Gen phone solely uses cell towers, the 3G has an A-GPS chip which definitely doesn't gather the info from cell towers. Want proof? Go somewhere outside where you can't get a cell signal. GPS will still find you; though it won't be able to load any map data for your location.

13. muskratboy macrumors 6502

Use while driving (successfully)

No, it's not good enough to track YOUR exact location.

MY iphone finds me in (well) under 30 seconds about 90% of the time, and is accurate to under 15 yards almost always.

I use it when i'm driving, and it's accurate and quick enough to give me street-by-street directions (it shows my dot passing a street when my car is passing that street)

not really trying to brag here, lol... just defending a system that works darn well on my iphone 3g.

Now google maps... that might be another story. recently it's been acting really screwy, mapping out strange routes and whatnot. blah!

and yeah, occasionally GPS just won't work. probably, 1 in 25 times. but it's REAL GPS, anyway. derp.

14. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    My Maps always runs quite quickly. I rarely have problems. I am very excited for street view. :D

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I occasionally use GPSLite for fun when walking to get somewhere. But Maps and GPSLite do different things.

Besides, how do you think that program of yours finds your location?

And finally, what does a 'map' do? It finds you. Your street directory doesn't have a stopwatch and plot your path. Thats the function of third party apps.

16. Sijmen macrumors 6502a