When will MBP get an IPS high resolution screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riveting, Mar 8, 2012.

1. riveting, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

riveting macrumors 6502

I have been thinking of switching to Mac for a while because I like time machine and the easy way to back up system and applications. But the high price of 15/17 model and the low screen resolution of 13inch model has always holding me back. So 2011 13inch Macbook pro, after so many iterations, updates, still has this abysmal resolution 1280*800 TN panel screen while ipad 3 (a much cheaper device) already got 2048*1536 IPS screen at just 3rd generation.

When will MBP get a deserved IPS screen and a decent resolution.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you cant compare 9.7" screen with 13, 15 and 17

3. riveting thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed, 13 15 and 17 should have higher resolution than 9.7 inch.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the cost for such a move will be exorbitantly high and is not quite feasible yet.

Its one thing to produce a 9" display, quite another for a 15" and keep it economical

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

at what cost?

6. paolo- macrumors 6502a

No idea when it'll happen but probably sooner than later. The MBA already got a slight resolution upgrade. It probably won't be 'retina' but I'd expect 1920*1080 to be a minimum soon. Apple has been working for a while to get everything to be scalable. It's kind of ridiculous for Apple to have a 9" tablet with a more than HD display and not have it on the computers that create that content...

7. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

I'll have to agree with you. I don't see Apple implementing a Retina Display on the MacBook line anytime soon. I still think we'll see a resolution upgrade later this year throughout the Pro line but only time will tell.

8. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Imagine a 30" Apple Cinema Display with RETINA RESOLUTION! :eek:

9. GoldenJoe macrumors 6502

I could care less about retina resolution. It's just a marketing term. What I do care about is not even being able to fit the iPad 1 simulator in portrait mode on my 1680x1050 MBP screen. It's very annoying to have to scroll within the simulator window. It doesn't have to be 250ppi or whatever, just boost thing enough so that we can work on iOS apps more easily. That, or maybe make some kind of "super quick debug install" feature that makes building for an actual device as fast as building for the simulator.

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is just a matter of time.
    OLED screens were only worth the money in small sizes. Now there are 55" screens about to hit the market. Still expensive but no more than high end plasma.
    I think Apple and others are pushing for new higher res screens at 13-27" sizes. This year the hardware will start supporting it with 4kx4k res support and it is only a matter of time until they are cheap enough.

Extremely high price pressure has made decent panels almost vanish from most notebooks. Some years past many notebooks came with decent screens. Now there is only a handful like the Sony Z2, Dell XPS option, MBPs and some others with 1080p panels that offer still decent quality.
    If just the decent TN Panels already cost seemingly too much considering how little most consumers care about it, it seems doubtful that it will change too soon. Apple can ship big quantities and reap the rewards of economies of scale much sooner than other manufactures. Others would have to sell it too consumers and charge more than previous options, that would never lead to wide enough adoption. Apple can do it sooner but they will still wait until it is cheap enough. And 10.1" is still a long way from the area of a 17" MBP screen.

In 1-2 years I think there might be a new MBP with such a extra high res screen. I would prefer TMOS or OLED though. IPS may offer good enough viewing angles but still rather bad contrast and the colors of WLEDs aren't all that impressive either. OLED would enable extremely thin lids that could be made matte and very durable and pressure resistant without any thick glass. TMOS could potentially save battery life, offer all the colors of RGB Leds, perfect viewing angles, potentially cheaper than IPS or even TN. Could have almost oled like contrast or not the information is a bit fuzzy in that regard.