When will Netflix update for split screen and PIP?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ghost31, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

We've been waiting since iOS 9's release for this. Is there any word at all about this feature coming or what?!

2. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Ditto this. I got the free trial a few weeks ago and was disappointed with this.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

4. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

I actually read somewhere that it's unlikely that YouTube and Netflix would update pip any time soon as it would mean losing the control over the media player. (Lost ad opportunities, notes, comments etc.)

5. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Do not think that every app is going to be modded to support these features.

You may wait forever.

6. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

I don't use PIP much. I would only use it for something I've already seen anyway just to pass time. Would be nice I guess as an option. Im always open to options.

7. doboy macrumors 68000

More importantly, when will Netflix allow downloading like Amazon Prime.

8. Mystro, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

My kids are growing out of Thomas the Train and that was the last redeeming quality on keeping Netflix. Between Netfix's programming and delay on any pip support, they are gonna lose my family to Hulu. I watch Hulu all the time with pip.
    HBO GO, Starz play, Showtime Anytime all support PIP. Netfix has no advantages anymore for us.

9. Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

I hope that's not true. I understand this argument from YouTube's perspective but not for Netflix. I hope they get on board soon.

10. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

I tried out Hulu because of this and love it much more than Netflix. I watch mostly on my IPP, so it is a big deal to me. So long, Netflix. After House of Cards, of course!

11. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Picture in picture is pretty powerful in this age when we want to miltitask more and more. It certainly feels more like a computer when you PIP. I'm typing this on Pro and watching AFC championship PIP.

12. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I was just getting caught up on the X files before the series returns. Was watching on Netflix but because of this post thought I would check out Hulu and see if it has it and sure enough it does! So I'm watching it on Hulu instead now. Netflix shouldn't like this

13. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Netflix is a paid service so the argument about advertising is nullified. As far as YouTube.......they can make it work somehow.....picture in picture is very useful at times.

14. friedmud macrumors 65816

Ok... so you must not care about:

• Daredevil
    • House of Cards
    • Orange is the new black
    • Bloodline
    • The Fall
    • Making a Murderer
    • Jennifer Jones

Honestly... Netflix is nearly as indispensable to me as HBO these days. Further, it has nothing to do with any of their "back catalogue" (I never watch any of the old crappy movies they have on there) and everything to do with their original programming.

As long as they keep coming out with awesome original programming I'll never give it up. I was just remarking to my wife that they could raise the price to HBO levels ($15-$20 a month) and I wouldn't even blink...

15. Ghost31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I also have HBO now and can honestly say Netflix is the better bang for the buck. HBO doesn't have nearly as much content and costs twice as much.

16. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

I agree. But I think there's a few stuff to consider. Apart from the lost ability to interact with the user on media players, I know Netflix also insists on cracking down on VPN connections. I'm sure they would want to make customer media players to add further safeguards.

On a different note, why doesn't apple capitalise on this opportunity and offer an ad platform for its media player? Seems like a lost opportunity...

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

There's a $2 YouTube player called Corner Player that supports iOS 9 PiP modes. No connection to the product, but I do use it.

I would like to see Netflix and the Fios video app support PiP, however. I do know that the Comcast cable app supports PiP though. One of my work colleagues showed me the other day.

18. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

BuzzTube also does that :) although looking for YouTube videos on it is a total pain -_- and it doesn't support 360

19. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

The idea of CornerPlayer is that you still use the regular YouTube app, but when you want to watch a video in PiP, then you hit the button to copy that video's URL. Once you copy a YouTube URL to your clipboard, it is automatically copied into CornerPlayer, and you can then launch CornerPlayer from the notifications screen and that video will play in PiP automatically.

I like this approach as I would prefer to use the regular YouTube app most of the time and I hate having apps on my phone that duplicate function.

20. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

My bad, didn't quite understand corner player. That actually sounds pretty decent..

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Android have PIP and Netflix does not support PIP so same thing for iOS. I think Apple should ditch PIP anyway.

22. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Loose or lose?

23. Mystro, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

No, not at all. I am not into Netflix's original programs. HBO,ShowTime, Starz and Hulu is more than enough of every kind of programming my family watches. We honestly dont have enough time to watch what we want now. PIP has solved some of that for me since I can work while multitasking entertainment.[/QUOTE]

24. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

25. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

Netflix doesn't put commercials into the programming I've paid them to stream. Hulu for some reason does. I plan to drop Hulu.