When will new apple watches be available for purchase?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chiefs1968, Sep 5, 2016.

1. chiefs1968 macrumors member

Ok so Wednesday the 2nd generation apple watch is introduced and does any have any idea when you can actually buy one like walking into an apple store or better yet...buy one at Bestbuy. Does it take about a week or longer?
    thanks

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes

3. KrisLord macrumors 65816

Either Friday 16th or 23rd, the same day as the new iPhone is available.

4. Trufunk macrumors member

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't see anything ruling out a potential sequential release, e.g., iPhone 7 on the 16th and AW2 on the 23rd.

6. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

First quarter 2017

7. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I'd expect Apple would prefer to do them together, the launch of the new iPhone promoting the watch.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They'll still promote them together at the keynote. Obviously there are pros and cons to streeting them on the same day vs. sequentially. Having separate pre-ordering/launch day dates means lower visible upfront costs to the customers (i.e., it hurts less to see $699 and $749 separately than $1,448) and it's also easier in terms of delivery/stocking/long lines at the Apple Store, etc.

9. Bentron macrumors 6502

Good point! Although, two new devices would mean crazy hype, more launch day coverage etc.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple could announce a dirt covered turd and still receive crazy hype. Having 2 launch days equals 2 news cycle coverages.:eek:

Very likely Apple had same time iPhone/Watch release and iPhone and later Watch release proponents fighting over which is best.

11. Bentron macrumors 6502

The new iTurd. Brings a whole new meaning to this quote...

12. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

Tim Cook knows.....

13. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I really hope it's not 8 months later like it was with the OG. I want it to be released this month! That will drive the hype of the Watch and iPhone 7 if they are released together.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Eight months later only applies to original generation devices (e.g., original iPhone, original iPad and original AW were unveiled half a year before debut). They're not going to do that with the AW2, just like they didn't do it for 2nd generation iPhone and iPad.

15. Cigsm macrumors 6502

And miss fourth quarter holiday sales? Not a chance.

16. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

17. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I really doubt you'll be able to. Friday is more likely.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

As Jay says this CAN only apply to original product lines. You can't announce a replacement with an 8 month delay since it would kill sells (and profits) of your current product.

19. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Friday at 3am will be the earliest.

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

21. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

I miss that old times where we could order after a keynote.

22. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No such thing with brand new iPhone, etc. as we've always had a bit of a delay after keynote. We had a delay right after AW1's debut too.

The immediate availability pertained to the two refreshes of the AW1, but it wasn't exactly a new iteration.

23. caligurl, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I hope they just talk about the watch and don't start preorders until October (or at least later in September)

preorders for just iphones or just watches is bad enough... but to have preorder for both on the same day!? Apple has a hard enough time with just one product... but two??????????????? PLEASE GOD NO!

PLEASE have iphones and watch preorders on SEPARATE NIGHTS!

they can still hype them... but give their systems a bit of time... even a week and have watch preorders next week!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    no.... there was at least one year that preorders started right after the keynote.... that very day....

it was the first year we got iphones... I remember not being able to order at work (stupid computers) and having to wait til I got home.... I think it was the either the 3G or 3GS.... I can't remember which of the two was our first phone....

edited to add: googled it and yep... it was the 3GS..... keynote was on the 9th of june. preorders started right after and delivery/release was the 19th

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're right about same day preordering that happened only once and it was for iPhone 3GS, although I don't remember if it was right after keynote or it started at midnight. The poster I responded to indicated there were old times when when we could order right after keynote (as if it were common), but it happened only once and most certainly not for Apple Watch's debut. I think she was referring to the two refreshes of the AW1.

25. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

nope... it was RIGHT AFTER... cuz like I said... I tried ordering at work but the computers here wouldn't go through... but once I got home from work that afternoon I was able to place both orders....

ever since then (iphone 4 and beyond and watches) it has been midnight...

and weren't the 3GS' the first online preorders? weren't 3g and earlier phone stand in line only?

but ya.... anything other than midnight has not been a common thing (and may have only been that one time... I'm not up on the 3g and early sales/presales)

ya.... refreshes... those you can get right away....

I forgot I was in the watch forum and not iphone forum...