Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benguin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Canada
I'm planning on getting a MB(P), and I'm mostly holding out for new optical drives (as in BluRay and/or HDDVD). Any idea when they'll be added? I just don't wanna be stuck with a DVD drive when it's already in the process of being replaced. But if it's gonna be too long, then I won't wait. I was hoping to get one in Spring some time, when Leopard is released.

I currently have the first model of 12" PB: 867mhz, 640mb, 80gb.

Also, this is my first post. Hi everyone!

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2006
I'm guessing Apple will wait to see what format "wins the war". That said, Apple is in the group backing Blue-Ray. But I prefer HD-DVD, not that that matters

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
I'm guessing Apple will wait to see what format "wins the war". That said, Apple is in the group backing Blue-Ray. But I prefer HD-DVD, not that that matters

Why would you prefer HD-DVD?

To me it is this simple: why would we settle for worse technology? Blu ray holds INSANE amounts more data than HD-DVD. I see no reason why anybody would prefer HD-DVD, and if those reasons have to do with image or sound quality, it is not the fault of the disk or the system but the software instead, and could be fixed. I'd like to hear some reasoning lol

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Why would you prefer HD-DVD?

To me it is this simple: why would we settle for worse technology? Blu ray holds INSANE amounts more data than HD-DVD. I see no reason why anybody would prefer HD-DVD, and if those reasons have to do with image or sound quality, it is not the fault of the disk or the system but the software instead, and could be fixed. I'd like to hear some reasoning lol

Amen. Please, elaborate thebiggoose.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
I'm planning on getting a MB(P), and I'm mostly holding out for new optical drives (as in BluRay and/or HDDVD). Any idea when they'll be added? I just don't wanna be stuck with a DVD drive when it's already in the process of being replaced. But if it's gonna be too long, then I won't wait. I was hoping to get one in Spring some time, when Leopard is released.

I currently have the first model of 12" PB: 867mhz, 640mb, 80gb.

Also, this is my first post. Hi everyone!

I wouldn't hold your breath. Blu-ray has been a rumor for a very long time now, and it's still in its infancy as far as industry adoption goes. Didn't the Blu-ray players from Sony just come out recently?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
i have read hd dvd is alot cheaper to make since you dont have to change the infrastructure to make the discs. also i heard that sony has overhyped the amt of data the disc can hold (does this actually suprise people anymore?). i will try to find some links as i have to get up early but if someone knows otherwise let me know

benguin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Canada
I wouldn't hold your breath. Blu-ray has been a rumor for a very long time now, and it's still in its infancy as far as industry adoption goes. Didn't the Blu-ray players from Sony just come out recently?

Ok, thanks for the info. At first I was just assuming it'd be the next model, but then I realized I hadn't actually heard any talk of that happening. I guess I probably shouldn't wait too long then. Anything else worth waiting for?

It may not be too likely, but I'm hoping for that 12" MBP at MacWorld Expo, and that's not too long to wait (I kinda have to wait for the new year anyway, for other reasons).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
IAnd the HD DVD group too.

thank you for bringing that up.

Apple has not and likely will not go with one format over the other until one is a clear winner. Apple are a part of the HD DVD group and they back Blu-Ray as well.

i believe the sole reason for adding a second Optical bay in the Mac Pro was because of these two formats.

i don't see it trickling down to the MacBooks and iMacs until they've been in the MacBook Pros and Mac Pros for a year. (perhaps 6months later as a BTO option though.) and neither format will be put into a Mac until the course of events is a bit clearer. right now they both are a gamble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.