When will people stop talking about Blu ray in macs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lawhochun, Oct 24, 2012.

1. lawhochun macrumors member

How long will it take for people to realize Apple is never going to put a blu ray drive/writer into imac, they never even thought about it in the first place. Apple has their own iTunes store which sells/rents 1080p movies and TV episodes, which is close to Bluray quality. Also they have an Apple TV lets u stream 1080p contents. There is no point for Apple to embrace bluray at all so stop asking for it.

Bluray is a piece of technology that has never really taken off, and never will. Welcome to the Cloud era people.

2. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Till Blueray, DVD drives die.

3. jedolley macrumors 68000

I really don't know what the big deal is... If you want Blu-Ray, just get an external blu-ray drive. I did this a while back with a Blu-Ray drive from OWC and used Mac Blu-Ray Player. It worked like a charm.
    http://www.macblurayplayer.com/

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Agreed. Apple has consistently made it clear that they're not doing it. And the redesign makes it clear that it's never, ever going to happen...EVER.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Blu-ray has taken off. It's just that DVD was done well, some people still don't have HDTVs, and ITunes et al have offered competition to discs. It also doesn't help sales when renting movies has become so darn easy. But if you want to own an HD movie, I guarantee you 90 percent of those people buy a BD and not the digital file. There are too many issues with ownership, portability and quality.

It's definitely apparent that Apple will never natively offer a BD drive. I mean even DVD and CD drives are becoming optional. But plenty of us still buy discs and wish Apple and everybody else had an easy ripping solution like iTunes does for CDs. Thanks to the movie industry for making pirates the one people able to rip movies instead of treating people like non-criminals.