When will Retina Display for iPad be outdated?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by therep2004, Mar 13, 2012.

1. therep2004 macrumors newbie

Honest question:

When will the next big display breakthrough happen for mobile devices in the iPad category? Put another way, for how long will Retina for iPad be the best screen technology at market?

I ask because I'm curious for those that want to future-proof their devices for as long as possible, and aren't as concerned with the ever-advancing 'spec-wars', like processors, GPU/CPU clock speeds, and even design.

Thanks for the insight in advance,

2. sirpots macrumors regular

when they shrink 4k resolution down to 9.7 in which I think will be a long time

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Probably when such a high density high quality OLED based screen becomes economical at the size needed for an iPad. OLED has advantages in being able to have darker blacks, higher contrast, and potentially reduced power consumption.

4. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Your new iPad will long seize to function before that screen is outdated. While I'm sure next few years will bring us lower-power, thinner, and maybe even better contrast screens, that will not make your current one outdated.

The only breakthrough that I can foresee making the new iPad's screen outdated is true indoor/outdoor combination, with none of the drawbacks of current technology. I would buy THAT in a second, but I'm sure we are a long way off.

5. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

What he said. I don't imagine apple will adopt OLED but who knows. This resolution will probably stick around for a LONG TIME and the next updates (ipad 4, 5 & 6) will all feature upgraded processors, battery life, memory etc.

I think at this point with these types of devices, we will now be limited by internet speed when it comes to image quality (due to being limited by how much can be streamed and at what quality). That is really fascinating to think about. Since you cannot hook a bluray drive directly to an iPad you won't be able to get that kind of image quality from a movie (I am pretty sure netflix and hulu don't stream at 1080p).

6. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

I have heard that companies are working on a color e-ink display. If they can get the refresh rate up high enough that would be an amazing thing to see.

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

as soon as there is a display with less power consumption or haptic feedback or one that can be read in sunlight.

i don't think we see much higher resolution anytime soon.

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

9. busterbluth macrumors 6502

I agree, can anyone imagine if a higher resolution would even make a difference, isn't that the point of a retina display? I can't really imagine my iPhone having a sharper screen.

10. WLS macrumors 65816

Agree, But don't count on that for next year. next year will probably be a processor upgrade.

11. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Until the human eye evolves :)

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Seriously, I'm thinking several years.

Making it sunlight readable would be a great upgrade, but resolution wise I think we're good till 2016-2017.

13. Angry-Birds macrumors member

My thoughts exactly. In terms of display technology, we really are reaching a point of diminishing marginal returns.

14. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Ehhh...pretty fast. Especially with Android manufactrers. Then again, Retina took forever to catch up.

----------

Which is why I think Apple is only adding a few features a year.....

15. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

That isn't the display's fault.

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

cease to function

17. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

The only way to "future-proof" your purchase in terms of display is not to buy it, and wait a few years

18. homeboy macrumors 6502

Not to mention broadband speeds be fast enough for one to download a 4K movie on to an iPad in a reasonable time frame.

Try playing a 4k clip on Youtube and you'll see that we are quite some years away from 4k becoming mainstream.

19. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

20. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Due to the aspect ratio, there's not much point in rivals trying to go higher than 1080p for a while, other than spec one-upmanship.

21. sartios macrumors member

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 11.6 will have 2560 x 1600 Resolution, with a 2GHz dual-core Exynos 5250.

So yea, when that's out, the iPad 2's resolution will be outdated.

22. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

When we all get super high res bionic eye implants!

Seriously its great that after all of these years we've finally hit the pinacle of resolution. The next areas of progress will probably other screen tech such as tactile feeback and broader color spectrums.

----------

Ive been following the news surrounding the Tab 11.6 but seriously even if it is a power beast how have they overcome the problems Apple have? Will it too have a 10hr battery life. Im done with Android as I just dont like their ecosystem that well. If the Exynos 5250 stats do look great on paper it doesnt indicate how well it will perform. Just look at how disappointing and hyped up tegra 3 was. Also the new iPad is real, the Tab 11.6 is not.

iPhoto.

That one word is the reason why I'll be buying the new iPad. For all Androids tablet's specs, I cant think of a single piece of exclusive software that would draw me in whereas there is no end of choice on IOS

23. sartios macrumors member

Oh yes I agree with you, it probably will be a beast, I was a Android user once, but like you I just don't like it anymore, iOS and iPad win it hands down for me, and what I do with the iPad.

I was just answering the question of the OP about when there will be a higher resolution.

24. d0vr macrumors 6502a

This is exactly what I was going to say, or until.... God forbid... 3D retina displays (shoot me now). Holographic though would be cool though.

And of course then I read the other comments that didn't focus on resolution only, and realized I was being pretty short sighted. Still, unless Apple puts in haptic feedback, probably for some time now.

25. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You can spend your time worrying about your electronics becoming obsolete or you can just use and enjoy them.

EVERYTHING becomes obsolete sooner of later, including us!