When will th mbp support 2 video outs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dukebound85, Jun 12, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so we can drive 2 external monitors? and possibly the built in one?

that would be very nice

2. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

There's something called a video output splitter out there. It can split an analog signal into multiple outputs, thus driving more screens. I think magnavox has one...I can't remember the name, it starts with an M though.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

probably never since its meant to be portable.

4. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

When will the Smart have a towball, so I can pull my 29' travel trailer with it?

:mad:

[​IMG]

5. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

theres three promotional smarts in town, towing around billboard trailers!

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol sheesh guys im serious

more and more people are just getting laptops as thier own computers

surely it wouldnt be the hardest thing in the word to add 2 mini display ports to a mbp. i would love that

i can argue why they have a display port then if its only meant to be portable

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Is it a function of the display adapter? The mini supports dual monitors but has no internal display. Perhaps the card can only support two discrete displays.

Cheers,

9. hodgeheg macrumors regular

To the people ridiculing the OP, I think it's not an unreasonable question.

Such things do exist already, even on lower end machines, though they are rare. There are also USB display solutions.

My Toshiba U400 effectively has 3 video outputs, - HDMI and VGA on the machine and DVID on the dock. It's a 13" laptop and cost £550, so portability has little to do with it. I haven't been able to test the VGA and the HDMI simultaneously, so I don't know if it can do three at once but it can definitely do 2. Given that it can definitely separately drive the internal screen and the HDMI, and it can mirror the internal screen over VGA, I don't see why it wouldn't do two monitors, but that doesn't mean it will! The HDMI definitely does 1920x1200 and the graphics chip is capable of sufficient bandwidth to do 2560x1600 but I haven't found any documentation to indicate the machine's maximum external resolution, so I'm guessing 1920x1200.

The dock is a Toshiba Dynadock USB thing I picked up for £35ish on ebay and may be of some use to the OP. It is a universal dock and it uses a displaylink chip, which has Mac drivers - I tried it with a Rev B Air, but the resolution on the dock-attached monitor is limited to 1680x1050, though higher res is on the way according to a friend who works for Displaylink. They have mac drivers, but they're not a priority internally, so I suspect you might have to wait a bit longer on mac for something above 1680x1050. Displaylink products in general can be used in multiples, so you can already have multiple monitors on any computer with a free USB port, depending on your requirements for performance as USB isn't superb for full resolution video. It's fine for office and graphics work though, and full res video can use the HDMI instead. You can buy USB monitors from Acer I believe, that basically have one of these displaylink chips in them.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Apple doing this, and if they did it would probably only be on the 17". Partly this is just because I don't think they will think (possibly quite correctly) there is much market, and they'd rather we all bought a Mac Pro to go with the laptop. Also, given that Apple can drive 2560x1600 resolution, two of these would be a lot tougher on the graphics card requirements. This is already a bit of a bodge that requires a USB port to supply power to the adaptor unless you're using a 24" Cinema Display

10. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

possibly but dont the 15 and 17 inch ones have 2 video cards? i know you cant use both simultaneously but if you coud that would be nice

11. itisme1760 macrumors 6502