When will the 2016 macbook pro be available?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluce08, Dec 7, 2015.

1. bluce08 macrumors newbie

when will apple applied for the new 2016 macbook?
    will the skylake cpu in the 2016 macbook?
    will DDR4 RAM in the 2016 macbook?

2. 3568358 macrumors 6502

No one knows. Things will be announced at their net public event. You just have to wait.

3. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

1. exactly on the day it's released
    2. there will be a cpu
    3. yes, unless not

no one knows, that's how it is with apple. there will be rumors, then there will be something new (or updated).

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No one knows as has been said.

educated guesses

1. anywhere between feb and june next year.

2. They will be skylake (assuming intel pull their finger out)

3. I doubt Apple will use DDR4 this year there are practically no performance gains from it yet.

5. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

I personally want Skylake chips on Apple laptops but I don't think that happening.

I think Apple will go with quadcore Broadwell chips for the 15" while the 13" will get a slight boost in clockspeed.

Looking at the current Windows machines with Skylake makes me jealous. Just a little. :confused:

6. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Just curious, why do you think that?

I am not invested either way, I am happy with what I have....just Monday procrastination here.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That is unlikely, they have had the broadwell for the 15 inch available since 2 weeks after they released it with haswell, they seem to be actively waiting for skylake.

Not that it matters CPU wise they are pretty much the same as broadwell/haswell, and as they have yet to release any skylake chips with the GT3 graphics they are no better than broadwell in all those windows laptops you are lusting after.

8. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Look at the VAIO Z Canvas. Despite being released in October of this year, the thing is using the same Crystalwell chip as the 15" rMBP for the Iris Pro graphics. Plus, there are ZERO windows laptops running quad core broadwells with Iris Pro 6200 graphics. Pretty much obvious to me that although Intel announced these mobile Iris Pro CPUs, none of them are actually available.

Plus, the high end Haswell CPUs(4770HQ, 4870HQ, 4980HQ) Apple uses STILL defeats the baseline Skylake quad i7 the PC manufacturers like the Dell XPS 15 are using.(6700HQ) So really, we aren't missing anything.

I'm hoping to see Intel get itself together. They spent all this time improving and promoting the power of iGPUs, but they've been dragging ass with their best iGPUs for 2 years now. Where are the mobile quad i7 Iris Pro CPUs?

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Thats pretty much exactly what I said.

10. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

The last MBP update was March 2015. Are you guys saying we are going to have to wait a year or even more for the next update?? :(

11. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

really, only apple knows for sure, but it seems likely we'll see something early in 2016 (and that's based on this morning's tea leaves, a 'feeling' i have, and apple's history of releases)... :cool:

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People ask this every year and every year the answer is the same. No one but Apple knows. At this point the odds are extremely high it will be a skylake processor. It makes no sense not too, I have no clue about the ram though

13. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

14. macbook_21 macrumors regular

I'm eagerly awaiting (actually chomping at the bit) waiting for a new rmbp.

My 2008 macbook is no longer viable. It works, but battery life is so "bad" (and this is a new aftermarket battery) at under 2 hours with moderate use (web browsing, itunes), the fan so persistent, and browser crashes so frequent, it's pretty obvious that this is time for an upgrade.

Even 6 gigs of ram hasn't solved the issues.

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

In 2016.

Do you truly expect strangers on the internet that do not work for Apple to know?

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

Since you're getting by with a 2008, what's so compelling that the 2016 could have that the 2015 doesn't? You'd be buying overkill for your uses either way.

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

This is why I bought a 2015 MBP 16GB, 512GB SSD. It's entirely overkill for my uses but it's been since 2009 since I last owned a MBP and I was able to easily afford to buy a nice specced MBP this time around.

I plan on keeping it for a few years at least and it will do it's job well for several years.

18. macbook_21 macrumors regular

I won't be buying a 2016 (most likely). However, the release of '16's will push down the prices of '15's, hopefully to a price point that will allow me to pick up a retina display.

A '15 mbp will also minimize the number of dongles for legacy firewire drives and hdmi.

Also, the battery life, constant fan whirring, and subpar graphics performance all make the 2008 macbook basically obsolete by my admittedly subjective standards. Even web browsing is a drag as even a single flash ad will send the fans into a roar.

19. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

- February-March ish is a good timeframe. Apple have released Macbook Pros then in the past and that also lines up with their typical 220-250day release cycle.
    - Yes the CPU will almost certainly be Skylake. It would be insane to put in a Broadwell CPU considering the new Skylake models are shipping. While sometimes there is a lag between Intel releasing a CPU and Apple putting it in a notebook Apple have never shipped a previous old gen CPU when a new Gen was available.
    - Yes almost certainly. The cost at scale of DDR4 is now very comparable to DDR3 and the main benefit of DDR4 is lower power consumption up to 40% power reduction. Apple love power reduction and battery life.http://www.kingston.com/us/communit...ticle-Title=DDR4-vs-DDR3-with-Linus-Tech-Tips

20. mmarc1, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015

mmarc1 macrumors newbie

We'll see the Skylake update when Intel decides to release the top tier mobile models that MacBook Pros use, when that'll be… we don't know. I'm seriously thinking of buying the 13" as it is the newest machine, and then buying the 15" when it comes out in a few months. The Intel chips in the 15" are (like) 2 years old…

So when will it be available, when Intel put out their new Intel Iris Pro mobile Skylakes.

21. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I honestly hope AMD delivers with the rumored Zen architecture to give Intel some kind of kick in the gear. Intel's lallygagging is just frustrating now.

22. mmarc1 macrumors newbie

Inter Iris Pros are quite remarkable, I'll give them that, but still they do need a kick. Maybe more than just 256MB of dedicated RAM would be a nice start.

I'd love it, if they'd put the discreet GPU in more than just the top tier model… most 3D artists cannot live on Iris Pro.

23. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

What Apple needs to do is give dGPU as a $100-$200 BTO. I understand omitting the dGPU in late 2013 on the base model as a measure to bring the base cost down, but now the competition is offering dGPUs at the same price point. BTO would also mean those that just want the Iris Pro still have the option.

I have to say though, I like my Late 2013 base model with Iris Pro only. The performance is excellent while I don't have to worry GPU switching. Still, an Iris Pro isn't for everyone, though.

24. sjalfr macrumors newbie

sjalfr

Regarding fans... I opened my Macbook pro to install a new SSD recently and there was lint all over the fans and airways. I cleaned that and now the fans are super quiet at all times, even when streaming videos.

25. macbook_21 macrumors regular

That's pretty cool that you have an upgradeable mbp. I wonder if the 2015's and beyond will be user upgradeable at some point. Some predict they will not be.

In any event, yeah, I'm planning on opening up the '08 and giving it a good dusting. Keeping my fingers crossed.