Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
That's for ONE game. Check out his other articles and you'll see a different story.

If you're not going to be impartial you may as well not post the link in the first place.

The 3870 is better for Core Image-based work, the 8800 is better for gaming, especially under Windows. An example.

I appreciate it is only a single benchmark and that in the Windows world the 8800GT generally is considered the better choice between the two in many cases. The point I was trying to make (perhaps badly) is that even if Apple supply a more powerful NVIDIA card it is the quality of the drivers that really matters as far as OS X is concerned. If you use boot camp for your games and/or have no concern for core image that's different. Personally I'm happy to take an NVIDIA or an ATI card but it is the best all round OS X performance that interests me. Hence I'd be disappointed if I had purchased the 8800GT that I wasn't seeing its full potential.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I appreciate it is only a single benchmark and that in the Windows world the 8800GT generally is considered the better choice between the two in many cases. The point I was trying to make (perhaps badly) is that even if Apple supply a more powerful NVIDIA card it is the quality of the drivers that really matters as far as OS X is concerned. If you use boot camp for your games and/or have no concern for core image that's different. Personally I'm happy to take an NVIDIA or an ATI card but it is the best all round OS X performance that interests me. Hence I'd be disappointed if I had purchased the 8800GT that I wasn't seeing its full potential.

Point taken. The 3870 is the most well-rounded, if you need it for work.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Oddly, the 8800GT scores much better on the OpenGl test from Glview. So in theory it would game better on a Mac too. (does anyone play games on Macs anymore?)

It just seems that the connection between OpenGl and Core Image isn't good.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The power draw is too high.

The GTX 260 is in line with the draw of the 8800 GT.

Also, Apple couldn't care less about desktop enthusiast cards.
Hmm, it should pull less power than two GTX260's and get more performance diong so. Of course this is assuming that OpenCL and Snow Leopard can take advantage of more than one GPU.

Shoot if Wiki's stats are to be believed it actually looks like it would pull less power than 2 4870's (and quite possibly the 4870x2).

Of course Apple doesn't care about using the fastest hardware available...

Besides it is in a freaking workstation. Who cares if it pulls 300W versus 181W? All the exhaust gets ejected out the back of the case so cooling shouldn't matter. And the Mac Pro comes with a 900W power supply so it isn't like it's 12V+ rails suck (well they probably do if Apple isn't willing to sell higher powered cards).

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Hmm, it should pull less power than two GTX260's and get more performance diong so. Of course this is assuming that OpenCL and Snow Leopard can take advantage of more than one GPU.

Shoot if Wiki's stats are to be believed it actually looks like it would pull less power than 2 4870's (and quite possibly the 4870x2).

Of course Apple doesn't care about using the fastest hardware available...

Besides it is in a freaking workstation. Who cares if it pulls 300W versus 181W? All the exhaust gets ejected out the back of the case so cooling shouldn't matter. And the Mac Pro comes with a 900W power supply so it isn't like it's 12V+ rails suck (well they probably do if Apple isn't willing to sell higher powered cards).
It's hard to say, but the 295 might show up as an option. Assuming of course, OS X is adapted to take advantage of a mulit-GPU card.

Personally, I'd be happy if it ends up with support for a 4870, let alone the 4870X2. :D As it stands, I'd rather go with an ATI card for the better drivers.

Even if nVidia takes over the authorship of the drivers, it may take a little time for them to get it straight. If Apple continues, hmm... :rolleyes: :p

Either way, we can only hope. :D

The current PSU, is 980W. Still not wonderful though, if you take a closer look at the AC power draw. Just a simple calculation at max output/max AC draw, gives ~70%. Other makes offer 80 Plus ratings. For the same $$$ too, if you go by the cost of replacement parts. :( Odd, coming from a company who likes to make itself appear "green" to the public.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.