When will the Ati 5870's be in stock!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Vapor matt, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Vapor matt macrumors regular

Considering how long the 5870 has been out you would think apple would have stock by now, Just how long do apple keep you waiting for 9 month old tech.

Its driving me nut's waiting, checking everyday several times to see if there is any stock yet.

It would be good if the card makers, ie MSI, XFX, ASUS, ect would release the mac version so people wouldn't have to wait so dam long!:mad:

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Considering ATI/AMD is still limited by the 40nm wafer constraints from TSMC the wait could be quite long.

They are probably first fulfilling the orders with the new Mac Pro's and then they focus on the upgrade kit.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Call Apple and ask. One reason they aren't selling them separately yet is to get people to buy the new Mac Pros instead of just a GPU

4. Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular

Ok i called apple uk, which is infact ireland. and the guy said they dont have them as yet, and that also they are not sure if they are getting any! mind you iam not to sure the guy really knew what he was talking about.

Oh well as always apple last over the finish line with new tech:mad:

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Quite a funny statement considering Apple historically have been pushing the boundaries when it comes to technology, usually implementing it way before anyone else.

In recent times we can look at different processors from Intel and EFI.

6. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I know Apple aren't keen for 2008 MP owners to upgrade to the 5870 but they have to have some upgrade kits to sell the 09 folks or there'll be riots.

Just wish someone would (a) put a 5870 in an 08 model to see if it works and (b) dump the ROM so we can sort our own "upgrade" out :)

7. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

5870 already confirmed to work in all macpros and rom is dumped, but the magic is happening at the new gpu forum

8. Weepul macrumors regular

Someone has tried putting an Apple 5870 into a 2006 or 2008 Mac Pro? Got a link?

9. fsron macrumors member

New GPU forum? Where?

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They should at least have it in store to satisfy in-store would-be upgrades.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

netkas' new GPU forum I believe.

13. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

IIRC last year it took them several weeks to begin selling the 4870 upgrade kit.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

15. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I'm still slightly amazed by how 's 5870 is both current compared with PC hardware, and actually not that much more expensive ($50-70).

I don't think we actually thought that would happen. Of course, it has to be said that it's not overpriced because PC 5870s are still selling near MSRP.

What I'm curious to see is if flashing will possibly be able to yield a working Eyefinity-6 card. Since at this point, Mini Display port has been revised to be more useful and is clearly here to stay, with ports being built into newer monitors...I actually want Display Ports.

16. Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular

Would that be the i7 processor ive had in my PC for best part of a year? or the crossfire 5870's for the last 7 months? or even the intel SSD drives in raid? or the DDR3 1366+ triple channel, or maybe SATA-3 6GB or even USB-3?

Apple so far ahead! right

That said i love my mac, all i want is a 5870 for it! is that so much to ask. might end up flashing one me thinks if its all working 100% have to check it out on netkas GPU forum.

thanks for the link.

But if anyone finds apple versions for sale by other vendors please let us know!

17. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Well if the 5870 definitely works in the 08's then I'll wait until Apple has them to sell and stick with the official one, so as to avoid any worry about future updates.

I'm not in that much of a hurry now that I know I don't have to track down a reference design card and if Apple's price is only a bit more, then I don't mind paying it. Perhaps if Apple see decent sales on their cards it will encourage them to market future upgrades at sensible prices as well.....Hope springs eternal etc.

18. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

19. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

No, that wouldn't be the once.

Are you sure the Mac Pro is for you to begin with? It is a workstation after all. Isn't there some gamer system more appropriate for your needy demands? It reeks a bit of sour grapes ;)

Apple were first with Clovertown Xeon processors in the 2006 Mac Pro, the first with several Extreme processors in the MacBook Pro and iMac range, as well as the Core Duo in the 2006 MacBook Pro.

Not to mention things like FireWire, Mini-DisplayPort, OpenCL etc.

But they do not always have to be first, although they are pioneering a lot of neat stuff.

In the end you have the choice to choose something else that better fits your needs.

20. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Please don't go there.

A lot of us here buy one machine and would like to use it both for work and pleasure. I don't want to have a machine that is only for work and another that is for games.

That is why I would like Apple to keep up the improvements with graphic cards as that is the only hardware that is lacking for my needs especially with my 30" screen.

I hope they will put the card available for order soon so I can actually buy starcraft 2 and test it out :)))

21. Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular

Ha ha, all i want is a 5870 for my mac pro, I have a gaming PC thank you. please read sig, water cooled gaming heaven 4.2gig i7 I don't have problems playing games my friend. but for my photography and my company my mac pro would like more video ram, connectivity and speed the ati 5870 offers as an upgrade.

Its not a case of sour grapes, i know what my mac can do for me and i know what i use my PC for. I couldn't care less about all the Mac or PC fanboy rubbish. I just want a 5870 for my mac is that so bad?