When will the Click Wheel go bye bye?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Zwhaler, Apr 18, 2008.

?

In which revision will the Click Wheel cease to exist (not counting Shuffle)

1. The coming revision (Likely 2008)

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Two revisions from now (Likely 2009)

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Three revisions from now (Likely 2010)

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Later than three revisions from now - Specify (2011+)

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. Never, Apple will always use the Click Wheel

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I was just thinking, with Apple obviously moving to more multi touch based products (iPhone, iPod Touch, and the MT tech in the new trackpads in the MBP/A), when do you guys think the Click Wheel that we have come to know and love for 7 years will finally go? I have a feeling that in 2 revisions from now (not this year, but next) the iPod lineup, except the shuffle, will be touch based. If Apple could develop a Multi Touch UI for an iPod the size of the Nano, it would be a huge hit.

Of course, it would have to to accommodate for a small iPod, but I think everyone would love it. I certainly would. But it is more difficult to tell when it comes to the Classic, as it's purpose it solely to be a high storage click wheel based iPod. I think that by late 2009/early 2010, we will have sufficient flash based storage to accommodate for people who need the current storage only supplied by hard drives. What do you think?

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

personally I don't think that apple will make a nano touch, but you never know. I really love the click wheels.

If they change it they may change the design of the ipod too! :eek:

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Yeah, I think a Nano Touch would be just ridiculous because it would be too small to accurately touch it.

4. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I think there will always be a need for the clickwheel. Some people just don't like the idea of having the iPod completely touch-powered, and I believe Apple recognizes that.

5. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I agree, except the day will come when Apple will be able to design something so genius that nobody doesn't like it. Like with the iPhone, touch screen phones weren't exactly popular or liked until it came along, and now they are all the rage.

6. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Yeh, like me lol. I like being able to control my music players by feel while they're in my pocket, without using a remote. Lovely as touchscreens are, I can't really do that with them. Well, I might be able to eventually, but it will take much more practice to learn how to position my fingers, and it might not work half the times. So, physical buttons are totally necessary, at least for me.

7. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

This is what people including Steve Jobs said about watching video on a 2.5 inch screen.

8. 7031 macrumors 6502

Wait! What about a touchscreen clickwheel? Like have a picture of a clickwheel on the touchscreen?

Physical locations are important though.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There were plenty of concepts of this (like the one below) but I think the current iPhone/touch UI is much better.

[​IMG]

10. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

I voted 2009... although I guess it could be this year.

11. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Honestly, that wouldn't be a very good idea, since you loose all the good things about a physical wheel (controlling in pocket, etc) and don't gain many benefits of a touchscreen, since it would be more or less exactly the same.