Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hey, I've had an iTouch for a while and I am very interested in getting the next iPhone, does anyone know an approximate date of it's release?
Could it be as early as January, or perhaps February/March?? (I January :p)

Is there a thread about idea's for what might be included in the 4th Gen iPhone? I'm searching right now, would appreciate a link to such a thread if anyone doesn't mind.
EDIT: nvm found a thread that is good enough.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Another of an iPhone 4G thread. :rolleyes: Now where's thegoldenmackid for the list of iPhone 4G threads . . .

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
As others have said, probably in the June timeframe.

But this does get me to thinking. Here in Japan, most electronics are updated on a 6 month cycle. I wonder if Apple will change from a 12 month to 6 month cycle in the future at some point.

Gut feeling says no. But you never know with Apple.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
As others have said, probably in the June timeframe.

But this does get me to thinking. Here in Japan, most electronics are updated on a 6 month cycle. I wonder if Apple will change from a 12 month to 6 month cycle in the future at some point.

They may have to move to such a cycle with mobile hardware currently moving forward pretty fast.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

I suspect that after the criticism that the 3G and 3G didn't offer sufficient jumps over their predecessors Apple wouldn't want to make them even more iterative.

I'm sure the next iPhone will make it pretty obvious it's the new version so trendies will grab hold of it with both hands.

Phazer

djourd

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
I really doubt that it will be sooner than June because when the 3Gs came out many users ran into the problem that they could not upgrade since it had been slightly less than a year since the 3G came out.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I really doubt that it will be sooner than June because when the 3Gs came out many users ran into the problem that they could not upgrade since it had been slightly less than a year since the 3G came out.

and all the early adopters of the 3G iPhone contracts are running out in January.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
June, as always, assuming there is nothing new to submit to the FCC. I think the first one was introduced in January because it needed FCC approval.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
For us newbs - what is the big diference on the 4g?
Software? Connectivity? Hardware?

we have no idea we can only speculate which there has been alot of search the forusm for 4G iphone wishklist im sure you get lots of pages on that subject :)

though in my opinion it might be more capacity and newer software features, the 3GS has pretty good hardware as it is.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
US contracts are 24 months but they let you renew your contract and get a subsidized phone every 18 months.
And with AT&T if your monthly bill is over a certain amount they let you renew each year.

In the UK, yes, because you have 18-month contracts. In the US the contracts will be running on in June because they have 24-month contracts.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
For us newbs - what is the big diference on the 4g?
Software? Connectivity? Hardware?

Software will mostly be compatible with the 3GS with the exception of new hardware that would tie into new software.

The new iPhone has been designated 3,1 and the 3GS is 2,1. That means it will be a significant upgrade.

My guess: This is the first generation of iPhone hardware that has a chip designed by PA Semi. They are/were known for power saving tech on PowerPC chips. Chances are the next iPhone will have significantly better battery life.

During Apple's OS 3.0 event they cited battery life as the major reason for no multitasking. I believe OS 4.0 will have multitasking (along with numerous other features) but it will only be for this year's models on. The 3GS and new iPods will have multitasking but won't have the same battery life as next year's model.

Another thing I could see them do is, like others have said including myself, is a new casing for the back and possibly better video recording resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.