When will the iPad 2 reviews start coming in?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HXGuy, Mar 7, 2011.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

If I remember correctly, the major reviews usually get a iPad before the rest of us and start releasing reviews in the day or two prior to the iPad actually going on sale.

So, when do you guys think we'll start seeing the reviews from Walt Mossberg and the rest of the crew? Thursday? Sooner?

2. zemzabob macrumors regular

zemzabob

Just as soon as they go on sale the reviews will start pouring in.

3. jedolley macrumors 68000

Well last year the iPad launched on a Saturday and the reviews hit the web on Friday. I think this year we will see reviews either Wednesday or Thursday.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Walt Mossberg publishes his reviews on Wednesdays (for any product) at 9pm PST/ 12am EST, so that is when the embargo should be lifted allowing other reviewers like Engadget, CNet and David Pogue to publish their reviews as well.

5. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'm wondering if CNet UK screwed the pooch here by releasing some benchmarks today. The article was pulled but not before Ars and Gizmodo picked up on it...

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I noticed that and I found it odd that they were publishing benchmarks wile under embargo (I wonder if Apple asked for their review unit back).

7. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

What's even more odd was the usually reliable Ars drumming up that SunSpider benchmark with a heading "CPU performance remains mostly unchanged." From what we've seen in Tegra2 benchmark, that result was exactly what you'd expect from a dualcore A9 running that test yet Ars tried to make some controversial guesses by saying it might be the good old A8. I thought Ars was above that kind of sensationalism based on a dubious logic. :(

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Yes, I thought the same.

They took some pretty sharp commentary in the comments, which I thought was good.

9. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Looking forward to these proper reviews - the quick hands on reviews at the Apple event do not really give us too much info

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ars technica did the same thing. The issue is the "benchmarks" are assumptions that the A5 is based on the Cortex A8 and not the A9. Who knows what its based on since the product is not even shipping.

Usually, I expect a higher level of quality from ars on reviews and benchmarks. Its laughable that they would release benchmarks on an unreleased and untested product.

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

about 5:30pm on Friday, look on youtube and you'll see a ton of geeks with unboxing videos.

12. PhoneI macrumors 65816

The reviews will most definitely be released today or tomorrow. Apple usually has some sort of review embargo till about 48 hours prior to release.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I expect reviews from Mossberg, Pogue, and Baig online sometime this evening and in print tomorrow. I have a sneaking suspicion that Andy Ihnatko also has a review copy so maybe we'll see something on his site or his space in Chi Sun Times tonight too.

14. Irishman macrumors 68030

Check Youtube for early reviews and hands-on late Friday (3/11).

15. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Seems the whole process has been hermetically sealed this year, perhaps because of last year's iPhone 4 debacle? Seems no one was correct with the specs pre-announcement....most guesses and "insight" was garbage. The same with the MacBook Pro. So much gibberish...nothing, with possibly the exception of "LightPeak/ThunderBolt" making it's debut. The quad cores and 1 gig GPUs seemed to take everyone by surprise, as did/have the benchmarks;)

Perhaps, somehow...Apple has figured out how to tighten that lid even more. I'm surprised as well by the lack of information (almost NOTHING!!!!) on iPhone5!

It's crazy how well their "Embargo" actually does work! I understand...it's these folks' livelihood, job, etc....but the insatiable appetite for inside information about Apple products seems to me...would be enough for leaks to spring from the most interesting of places!!! Seems there have to be thousands of people involved in the process....from R&D to part distribution, case makers, testers, end distributors and everyone in between. They've obviously been successful in keeping that number (of hands on folks) to a minimum...seems we could use some lessons from the way Apple runs it's security in other facets of our daily lives! They've certainly got it nailed!!!!

j

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Embargoing stories is a widely used practiced. It's not an Apple exclusive. Even the White House uses it. If a reporter values his/her access which enables them to get the early scoop s/he knows not to break the embargo. It's that kind of leverage that makes them work.

17. Irishman macrumors 68030

Indeed!

Noone predicted HDMI out and 1080p output support.

18. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I'm pretty amazed there's no iphone 5 news yet too.

Though with the iPad, if you go back and look at the mockups people had, they were pretty spot on. I wouldn't be suprised if they were made from leaked prototype info since the only real differences were the thickness and grill configuration

see photos here: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/ipad-2-case-shows-up-at-ces-packing-a-mockup-ipad-2/

and it actually popped up in december of last year
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/23/ipad-2-features-a-thinner-bezel-flat-back-and-wide-range-speak/

Can't wait to get some REAL reviews, and not just mossbergs "oh it's apple it's amazing and magical just like they told me to say" crap.

19. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

reviews will likely go up tonight between 9-12..depending where you live

20. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Other than people who thought a retina display was coming a few months ago (only to be shot down by the pros of leaked information like John Gruber) I think they got this years iPad dead on frankly. There we case mockups that were millimeter for millimeter correct months before the announcment and the pictures were found all over sites like MacRumors.

1. Thinner. Yep predicted, in fact they had the case design mocked up down to the edge design and everything.

2. Faster. Yep everyone predicted a dual core chip called A5 and it happened.

3. Major sites like MacRumors called the new graphics chip months ago and yep that happened too.

4. More memory. Yep that was predicted and I am sure it is going to be proven true.

5. iOS 4.3 ... that all came out when it was given to developers were they found the secret links to apps like PhotoBooth and Facetime.

6. White was revealed about 1 week prior to the announcement when the parts were photographed.

About the ONLY thing not in stone that surprised everyone was the 1080p HDMI mirroring.

21. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Really excited for these. There's really nothing better.

The ultimate parody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrHoZheC8sU

22. RadicalxEdward, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

23. mtkagan macrumors member

24. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I really do love this video. It was great when the 3GS released, it's great now.