Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well, what does everyone do? That's the key.

Ask everyone to only use an iPad. That's the answer. 10%? 20%?

Well, my boss, my mom, aunt and cousin will all be fine with just the iPad. Add myself to that sample, and 80% will be ok with the iPad as their main computer.

And if truth be told, I spend the majority of my computing time on my iPad. It's only when I come upon some task that I can't complete on my iPad that I hop onto my desktop or laptop. So which is my main computer?

XmeX

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Actually the IPad is extra product for me, couldn't do anything on it more than watching media and internet suffering but after IOS 8 every thing on it being damn sucks

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I think you've got it backwards, the people of the forums here are a very small part of the total population, and their demands for multiple monitors and CAD software are skewed. Most people honestly would do fine with an iPad as their main computer, since most people use computers for web browsing, typing documents, and playing games. Most people also stream content, whether Netflix or Spotify or iheartradio. Photos are another area where once again, most people would do alright with either using a memory card reader or iCloud, and iPhoto or the coming photos app to post their pictures to Flickr, Facebook, or Instagram. So for most average consumers an iPad would do fine.

I really don't think so... I've tried... It doesn't work...

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I do a ton of writing for work.
I have an iPhone 5s, and an iMac.
I used to have a laptop that I used for my writing projects.
But now I've switched to the iPad Air 2 (with a Bluetooth keyboard that I use when I'm writing something very long, and a stylus for when I'm taking handwritten notes, or marking up a PDF) because it's just a lot easier to use, lighter and frankly, pretty powerful.
Not having the full blown computer in front of me when I'm talking with someone and writing breaks down some of the barriers. And I use the cloud as a de-facto file system which works reasonably well for me.

I recognize that not everyone has the type of work I have, but it's a good alternative for me...
As others have posted, so much of it depends on what you use your tech tools for.
For some of us, the iPad is already our main computer.
For others, it isn't likely to ever happen.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Honestly, this is how I feel about the issue.

The iPad will never be able to replace every part of an older computer. For example, certain work such as spreadsheets, video editing, and photography just require different form of input and more screen space. Now maybe we will reach a point one day were the iPad is more than enough for these tasks and all we to is place it into a docking station and use or large external monitors and other input methods.

As far as keyboard/mouse vs touch input. This is change and I believe for most tasks is a frame of mind issue. So many people today were raised with keyboards and mice that heavy touch input can be difficult. Today's youth is being raised with touch screens. I think as long as there is no form of tactile feedback on a touch keyboard a physical one will always be slightly more intuitive. Also, unless you use a fine point stylus with hardware and software that supports such input, touch input will never be as accurate as a mouse.

But I definitely think that if Apple would seriously boost the software, the only think keeping iPads down is a form of mentality.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
No. If the iPad replaces a laptop that is ONLY because they made the iPad a laptop. So then its not a tablet. Who would use OS X on a tablet?? Who would use iOS as a laptop that does everything? No to both. An MBA is a better laptop than an iPad with OS X, floppy keyboard, and mouse. An iPad is a better tablet than an MBA on your knee. Think power and full OS, and for a tablet think smaller size, less weight, consumption based. Keep them both 10/10 and not a 5/10 solution

I'm just saying that the iPad Pro can be either a tablet experience or a laptop experience, and you can change between them if you want, kind of like the Surface. It would be much more convenient and much cheaper than having an iPad and a MacBook, and definitely much cheaper.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I'm just saying that the iPad Pro can be either a tablet experience or a laptop experience, and you can change between them if you want, kind of like the Surface. It would be much more convenient and much cheaper than having an iPad and a MacBook, and definitely much cheaper.

Cheaper, yes, although a 12.2 iPad would not be cheap. If it ran OSX it needs Intel CPU etc, more weight and cost. It would be a big heavy iPad, as it will be an iPad plus an MBA with no screen. Convenient, yes, but you can only use the laptop or tablet part of the hybrid at a time. In theory its not a bad idea, I just feel the compromoses make it a fail. Its like you want a BIG car for long drive holidays and you want a teeny car for shopping and parking in town. OR you get a mid size car which is not great at both

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Cheaper, yes, although a 12.2 iPad would not be cheap. If it ran OSX it needs Intel CPU etc, more weight and cost. It would be a big heavy iPad, as it will be an iPad plus an MBA with no screen. Convenient, yes, but you can only use the laptop or tablet part of the hybrid at a time. In theory its not a bad idea, I just feel the compromoses make it a fail. Its like you want a BIG car for long drive holidays and you want a teeny car for shopping and parking in town. OR you get a mid size car which is not great at both

I understand what you're saying, and this could well be a problem. Can I just say that I didn't mean for OS X, just an enhanced iOS.

If you want my full ideas, see my thread 'What I want for the iPad Pro'

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I would say when the features in Mac OS X match the features of the tablet version of iOS.

I don't understand how in the 21st century the iPad doesn't come with a calculator app, and I can't attach three different file types to an email from the Mail app.

I would forgo split screen or any flavor of real life multitasking in favor of just being able to attach from the Mail app.

The short answer to the question?

I'm sure it's been said, but the iPad will be the main computer when it starts acting like a Surface Pro 3.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I understand what you're saying, and this could well be a problem. Can I just say that I didn't mean for OS X, just an enhanced iOS.

If you want my full ideas, see my thread 'What I want for the iPad Pro'

Ill check that thread tonight. Ok no OSX, cool. But as the thread below says, it just becomes a large iPad and the iPad is just a tablet OS designed for consumption, not to be a laptop replacement. iOS shows Apple is pushing ahead and adding useful features to iOS, that may helpm bridge the gap. They seem focussed on keeping them seperate, but closer, and/or working closer together to share data.

----------

I would say when the features in Mac OS X match the features of the tablet version of iOS.

I don't understand how in the 21st century the iPad doesn't come with a calculator app, and I can't attach three different file types to an email from the Mail app.

I would forgo split screen or any flavor of real life multitasking in favor of just being able to attach from the Mail app.

The short answer to the question?

I'm sure it's been said, but the iPad will be the main computer when it starts acting like a Surface Pro 3.

I agree. SP3 is a laptop replacement, iPad is a tablet for watching, reading and playing. It can do creative but often not well. Sometimes quite well. Its not there yet

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
The lack of Flash and the cumbersome nature of some activities still has me reaching to my desktop but the iPad is what I spend a lot of my time using - I'd say 75% of my normal computing can and is done using my iPad.

----------

Hmmm.....all I do is plug my ipad into the charger at night and it automatically backs up to the cloud via wifi. How could it be simpler? All content is synced via the cloud, so I don't need to upload anything to my desktop computer. We use OneDrive with Office documents, and it automatically syncs as well. I never feel the least bit inconvienced, and it all works pretty seamlessly.

For home use, I occasionally have tasks that are not suitable for the iPad, but they are pretty infrequent. The lion share of functions frequently performed by most folks at home can easily be done on an iPad. For these people (I.e. average consumers) the iPad can be their main computer......Not their only computer......Just the one they use most often.

What does that cost, to have enough storage to back everything on your iPad up? I think they only give 5GB for free which isn't even close to enough.

----------

First of all, your assumption That you can Not Download things to your iPad is plain wrong. I have downloaded PDFs, videos, mp3s, even ROMs straight to my iPad.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt that 99% of users use their computers for tax programmes. I have to say I can't think of ONE single application my mom has on their laptop that could not be done on an iPad. She is going to replace her laptop with an iPad Air soon btw.

And last but not least, the number of pro-apps that are not on iPad is getting smaller and smaller. Even office is there now. Give it a few years and the desktop might be solely use for niche tasks

You doubt 99% use their computers for tax software? How do you think TurboTax and other tax-prep software companies stay in business? I know I use it. Also there's TONS of other software an iPad can't be used for. Things like accounting/payroll software (PeachTree, QuickBooks, etc), rendering/raytracing applications (POVray, etc), etc. Until tablets get a lot more memory (4GB or more) and start having keyboards, external mice and outboard displays (all accessible via a dock perhaps) there will always be a need for a full-blown computer.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
A lot of back and forth in this thread. I have a MacPro and several iPads and other Appleware. There are a few things that I doubt the iPad will ever ascend to, but I do use mine for about 98% of everything.

In fact, for some things that are exclusive to my MP, I often just remote in with the iPad to complete the task.

I don't think it will ever replace the desktop computer completely but there are very few tasks that CAN'T be done on an iPad (that's not to say that some of them wouldn't be inefficient and/or cumbersome though).

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
They still arent replacing my desktop anytime soon as the most used device for me.
To get close to that they still need to: 1. Develop more complex versions of the apps/games for the ipad like in a pc 2. Allow multitasking 3. Solve completely the crash problems in safari/any browser or other apps.

And a dock that allow us to connect all of our peripherals when we are at home.

They are getting closer though, the GXA6850 on the Air 2 is supposed to be comparable to a laptop's AMD HD 7640G if we go by power alone, even though thats a low end integrated card it could run games like battlefield 4 or Dirt 3.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm expecting this sort of thing for the iPad Pro

Same here.

Not to be an uber Apple fanboy, but I think Apple is better suited to remove the frankenstein feeling I get when I use a Windows 8 tablet. Not that the user experience suffers from it, but i can see why some few folks have turned their noses up at the idea of a device that melds the best of a tablet and a laptop.

If I was a Windows user in any fashion whatsoever I'd have a SP3 in my bag daily.

It really would be the main computer for me.

Meanwhile, my iPad mini while used heavily, is still an intermediary device even more so than my iPhone.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008

umm, are you on drugs? Not even Microsoft is comparing the Surface 3 to an iPad. Totally different devices and use categories. I don't think anyone in their right mind would want the headaches of using MacOS on a iPad device. I really don't think that most of you really get how elegant and, well, perfect the experience of the iPad is. Adding all the clutter and everything required that you are asking for, might as well buy a Modbook, because it wouldn't be an iPad anymore.

If Apple does decide to do this iPad Pro (which I hope they don't) it will just be a larger screened iPad, just like everyone is complaining about the iPhone 6 Plus just being a larger iPhone.

PSB136

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
there are very few tasks that CAN'T be done on an iPad
Oh, please. There's so much wrong with that, that I don't know where to start, or how to say it without looking like I'm insulting your intelligence. Suffice to say: nobody in the real world doing real work uses an iPad. It's just a play-thing.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
umm, are you on drugs?

No

Not even Microsoft is comparing the Surface 3 to an iPad. Totally different devices and use categories. I don't think anyone in their right mind would want the headaches of using MacOS on a iPad device. I really don't think that most of you really get how elegant and, well, perfect the experience of the iPad is. Adding all the clutter and everything required that you are asking for, might as well buy a Modbook, because it wouldn't be an iPad anymore.

I honestly think everyone thinks the opposite. The iPad is far from perfect, which is why many people don't make it their main computer.

If by clutter you mean Mac OS X then you might want to go back to Yosemite and dig a little deeper into what makes it a great OS.

If Apple does decide to do this iPad Pro (which I hope they don't) it will just be a larger screened iPad, just like everyone is complaining about the iPhone 6 Plus just being a larger iPhone.

No one says the iPhone 6 Plus is just a larger iPhone ... only those that have never used one.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Suffice to say: nobody in the real world doing real work uses an iPad. It's just a play-thing.

That is far from the truth, iPads are used all time time in professional environments.

----------

No one says the iPhone 6 Plus is just a larger iPhone ... only those that have never used one.

But it is just a larger iPhone. I'm hoping the iPad Pro won't be just a larger iPad Air 2 but that would be expecting too much.

PSB136

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
That is far from the truth, iPads are used all time time in professional environments.
Used does not mean "worked with". Anyone can use an iPad running an app. But to actively work on one to produce something, such as a newspaper or professional video, is an entirely different story. Show me a professional industry that uses an iPad solely for their work. Seriously, I'd like to know.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Used does not mean "worked with". Anyone can use an iPad running an app. But to actively work on one to produce something, such as a newspaper or professional video, is an entirely different story. Show me a professional industry that uses an iPad solely for their work. Seriously, I'd like to know.

As I see it, there are several issues here that's being conflated.

1. Can the computing power of a traditional desktop PC be compressed into a tablet sized package in the near future? I think the answer is, we are almost there.

2. Regardless of computing power, can a tablet format device be used to do all "work"? No. Some types of work will always require big monitors, keyboard input, etc.

3. Does a device need to be able to handle all types of work to be considered someone's main computer? I would argue that the answer is no. If you are one of the people who need or want to do a type of work that isn't suitable to tablets, then sure, the iPad would never be your main computer. But if all of your tasks can be done on an iPad, then obviously, the iPad can be your main (or only) computer.

And the thing is, the number of tasks an iPad can do keeps increasing every year. But people get stuck on something it couldn't do originally, and keep thinking it still can't do it. For instance, every so often somebody says you can't download files in Safari on an iPad. But this has been possible for quite some time. You just have to have a third party app you can send the downloaded files to. And before you say you shouldn't need a third party app to do this task, computers don't do video editing or word processing out of the box, either. You need third party apps to do most things you do on a computer.

The thing is, many posters in this thread have a list of tasks THEY need their computer to do, and judge the iPad on that standard, and scoff at people who don't have the same requirements from a computer. In the meanwhile, a lot of people are already using the iPad as their main or only or most frequently used computer. I think Jobs said it best with his analogy of traditional PCs as trucks and tablets as cars. Trucks are never going away, because some jobs can only be done with trucks. At the same time, most people don't need to use a truck everyday. They only need it once in a looooong while.

I think iPad isn't quite on the level with cars yet. There are some common issues, such as how to manage media if you have more media than the space on your iPad, that haven't quite been resolved. So for that, we still need a desktop computer. But unlike, say, working with a large spreadsheet, that isn't a task that inherently requires a big monitor and keyboard input. We just need stand-alone network drives and an app to control that from the iPad. There are already hardware and apps that try to do this, but they are clunky and less than optimal. But I expect them to improve.

So no, I don't expect entire industries to run on iPad only. But a small business could almost be run from an iPad today. And for many low-level users, an iPad is already the only computer they need.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
All we need is for Apple to do what Samsung and Microsft are already doing and make their tablets chock full of RAM and storage and make them easy to add a keyboard and mouse to, as well as a docking station or at least video port so you can go out to a full size monitor when needed. Best of both worlds. Crazy portability and full desktop functionality (if not speed) when stationary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.