Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
Hi all

Bought an iPad 2 yesterday, thinking of returning it, already have iPad 1 with apple care and I love it.

I'm just wondering when the iPad 1 will stop receiving software updates?

I'm guessing it will get IOS 6 but will be limited in most of the features and will probably stay on IOS 6/6.1 or whatever.

Any thoughts?

Hope you are all enjoying your iPads!

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I'm guessing it will get IOS 6 but will be limited in most of the features and will probably stay on IOS 6/6.1 or whatever.

But we don't even have IOS 5 yet. Seems like IOS 6 is a bit far away.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If it follows the same three year cycle as the iPhone and iPod Touch, iOS 5 will be the last version to run on the iPad 1G with iOS 6 dropping it.

Last edited:

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2011
You gave this serious, sober thought, right?

Yeah, been using it (albeit drunkenly)! for over 24 hours now, its fine until the novelty of facetime wears off, ill save the £ for iPad 3

Reluctant Adept

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
I'm guessing the iPad 1 will have limited OS5 support.

That would be my bet as well. iOS 4.3 is clearly designed to run well on the original iPad - so it doesn't really take advantage of the new hardware yet. I expect the difference between the two generations of hardware to be much more obvious with iOS 5, probably to the extent of having features that aren't available on the first-generation hardware.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I'm guessing the iPad 1 will have limited OS5 support.

No way. iPad 1 will definitely run iOS 5, it's been out less than a year. The iPhone 3G just stopped getting updates with 4.3.1 and it came out in 08 (almost 3 years ago, in case you weren't counting).

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
IPad 1 will have iOS 5 definitely. Like the above poster said, it's only been out a year. That is insane to think it wouldn't.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
i think it will stop at iOS 7. here is my reasoning:
April 2010: iPad initial release with 3.2
November 2010: 4.2
April 2011: iOS 5 event
April 2012: iOS 6 (iPad 1G barely out for 2 years)
April 2013: iOS 7 drops iPad 1 support.

Also note that the iPod touch 4th gen and iPad 1G have nearly identical specs. the 4th gen touch is 100% going to get iOS 6.

the only problem is that by iOS 5, iOS will be threaded for dual core processors, not single core.

Cabrewolf

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2003
The iPad 2 is, at a minimum, twice as powerful as ipad 1. It would be a shame if iOS 5 did not have at least some features that require that additional power.

I strongly suspect we will see a few additional features in iOS 5 that won't work on iPad 1 with many features in iOS 6 not working on iPad 1. Think about it, by the time iOS 6 is released, assuming certain factors stay constant, iPad 3 will be out and will be 4-8 times faster than iPad 1.

djf881

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Apple has supported iPhones and iPod touch for two years, so the iPhone 3g and the 2nd gen Touch did not get the latest update.

That's a really short product life-cycle, but it makes sense for phones because people commonly buy two-year contracts. But I really don't know what Apple is going to do. Although the A5 chip and GPU in the iPad 2 are significantly more powerful than the A4 in the iPad and iPhone 4, app developers aren't going to want to exclude the potential market represented by the fifteen million original iPads in consumers' hands. App developers will probably also want a more stable, standardized platform.

We've also seen the current generation of video game consoles outlasting previous generations, because developers are limited now by the resources and manpower necessary to produce high-resolution, high polygon art assets, rather than by the hardware. It's not at all clear that game developers will be able to take advantage of the graphics capabilities of subsequent iPad generations at app-store prices.

It's also not clear that gaming will drive most iPad users to upgrade their devices, so we may not see such dramatic processor and gpu scaling in the future. The iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 have similar CPUs, for example.

It's also not clear that the iPhone 5 will use the same processor as the iPad 2. Tablets have much larger batteries than phones, and we don't know that Apple can hit it's battery-life target running the iPad 2 hardware on a phone-sized battery. If the internals of the tablets exceed the phones, then the tablets might get supported for longer. It's also possible that the current gen phones will be supported for longer than previous generations.

I also have the impression that people replace their computers less frequently than their phones (which are heavily subsidized by carriers). People tend to replace phones every two years when their contracts expire. I expect that many people will want three or four years of service out of a device that can cost over $800, so Apple may not be as quick to switch off the service.

On the other hand, these products have a definite life-cycle. The batteries in the iPad only last about 300 full charge-discharge cycles before they're spent, and it's not clear that Apple will be offering to replace those. On laptops, batteries are generally screwed in and removable, but the iPad's battery can only be accessed by removing the front plate, which is held on with glue. To get inside, you have to melt the adhesive. This thing isn't designed to be serviced, it's made to be replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.