When will the iPad with the Cortex-A15 MPCore CPU show up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wikoogle, Sep 19, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I'm extremely excited about ARM's new upcoming architecture, the one that offers 5x the performance of the current ARM cpus while retaining the same low power consumption.

So how long will we have to wait until we see an iPad (or iPhone) packing in this cpu? 7 months? 19 months? or 31 months?

Your guess is as good as mine. So please feel free to guess.

My guess is, since the competitors are all still sitting around twiddling their thumbs when it comes to tablet PCs, the next iPad will barely be an upgrade at all.

It will be like the upgrade from the 2G to the 3G iPhone, they will add the one feature they should have by all rights implemented in the first generation iPhone (a front facing video camera), and call it a day.

But good god, I hope I'm wrong about that.

2. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I think the iPad 2 will have A5 / A8 (1.2ghz )with 512mb RAM
    I think the iPad 3 will have A8 / A9 / A15 (1.5ghz) with 768 mb RAM
    I think the iPad 4 will have A15 (2ghz) with 1gb RAM and have a retina display and a 3d display

3. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I have one already. Found it in a bar.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

There will be no point in upgrading any further than they need to.

As long as they can drip feed customers a slightly higher spec every year and try and stay 1 step ahead of the competition then they have no reason to do otherwise.

that is the very sad thing about computing today compared to the 80's

Now they hold back technology for marketing reasons rather that making it the very best they physically can at every stage.

5. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

It's more about shareholders expecting more and more profits with a shorter amount of time for their return on investment. Apple, nor MS, nor Dell, or anyone else for that matter has the incentive other than a uber-pure-profit-motive to nickel and dime you to death. They are all guilty of this and in my opinion deserve a special place in hell right next to satan and Bernie Maddoff.

6. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

That's just business. They probably have features they've been holding back for awhile that they could've implemented in iOS devices all ready to go, but they want to give you a reason to upgrade. They leave things in reserve.

Like I said, it's nothing personal, just good business. The only real reason they do anything that they do is to make money. Steve can stand up on stage and talk about how they're at the crossroads of art and technology and that they do what they do for the enbetterment of mankind, but he really just wants your money. And I have no problem with that. People want new devices, and as long as they want to new devices, Apple will fill that void. Nothing wrong with that. They put a TON of money into research and development to make these devices possible.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Or to put it another way...........

There is no way on earth the Amiga would ever be launched in today's marketplace.

No-one would ever push everything to the limits and virtually go bankrupt in an effort to push something out so massively ahead of anything else out there now.

Which I feel very sad about. :(

But then Computers were built by and marketed to a different group of people than we have today.

8. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Or to put it another way, the design specs for the ipad were finalized many months (if not years) before the release so that designers and manufacturers would be able to meet the required timelines and product demand.

just because a super-whammodine chip showed up on the market last month, doesn't mean Apple can (or even want to) halt production just to get a 5% jump in performance.

When your talking about product lines that produce millions of products, the timeline for addition of new features and new processors is in years, not months.

It's not a function of nickel and dime-ing us to death, it's a function of mass production, contracts with sub-manufacturers and maintaining an acceptable profit margin to keep investors happy.