When will the iPhone 5S become like the iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ForumHangout, May 15, 2016.

1. ForumHangout macrumors newbie

What I mean by this is, the iPhone 4 was released in 2010, on iOS 4. By the time of the iOS 7+, 2013 or later like 2015 or 2016, it becomes slow and "weak" it seems, not sure if the advance iOS software (iOS 7) has anything to do with it or if websites' software themselves become more advance. What I mean is, when you go onto a website in 2016 on an iPhone 4, it feels like it takes 3 seconds longer to load, the website or sections of the website while you're scrolling up and down the websites. When you swipe the screen, there is a lag time of between 1-3 seconds and THEN the website moves. Sometime, a website is "too advance" or maybe "too demanding", your browser would shut down, like Safari or Google Search.

So essentially:

1) Websites and sections of websites take longer to load, up to 3 seconds.
    2) There is a lag when you swipe and then the website responds, up to 3 seconds.
    3) Safari/Google Search shut downs when trying to handle websites sometimes, because their software is too demanding or advance?
    4) Links do not respond when you press on them, links like "General Discussion" or "Off-topic Discussion" of forums.

This happens on the iPhone 4 in 2016, and it's quite a sub optimal experience, very frustrating. It makes you want to upgrade. I am, again, not sure if it's the iOS 7 itself, the websites' software, or a combination that caused the 4 afflictions.

So basically, what I am asking is, when will the iPhone 5S become like the iPhone 4? should I expect "three years" or "three iOS" upgrades for the iPhone 5S to become like the iPhone 4? So once the iPhone 5S upgrade to iOS 10, which is 3 from the original iOS 7 as the iPhone 4 upgraded to iOS 7 from iOS 4, the iPhone 5S will suffer the 4 problems listed of the iPhone 4? if this is so, is it wiser to stay permanently at iOS 9, or less, and never go to iOS 10 for silky, buttery, smooth website browsing with no lag in loading, swiping, no shut down, and unresponsive links?

Thx again, any insight would be good, I mean for giving me a year estimate for when the iPhone 5S will become like the iPhone 4 or whether I shouldn't upgrade to newer iOS, iOS 10, for the iPhone 5S.

Thx again.

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

Well, you have to keep in mind that the iPhone 4's A4 chip coupled with only 512MB of RAM just won't cut it for today's websites. Could the same thing happen to the 5s? Perhaps, though I would say that the A7 chip is more than adequate for web browsing. If anything, the 1GB of RAM is what will hold the 5s back, though not as bad as the 4.

We're reaching the point where any extra performance won't have an effect in web browsing anymore, the bigger factor will be internet speed. I mean, do we really need a phone that can score 2,500 points in the GeekBench single-core test just for web browsing, especially when even some high-end Intel chips score around the same? Luckily for us, the recent A-chips have grown to a more-than-adequate speed that will stand the test of time better than the earlier A-chips.

3. brewmonkey macrumors regular

I agree with Andres.

Relatedly, I was actually just pondering whether we've reached the point with the A9 processors where we won't become saddled with hardware getting "slow over time" in the way you've described (and we've all experienced). Sure seems like it.

For example, I have a PC with an old i5 2500K CPU. When I use much newer computers with Broadwell and Skylake CPUs, I really do not notice any difference for general computing tasks. Of course the latter CPUs are faster, but it seems like our relative perception begins to diminish at some point whey they're all so fast.

4. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

That's right!

A similar example would be the difference between the iPhone 2G's SoC and the A5 being minuscule compared to the difference between the A5 and the A9. Exponential growth at work!

If only internet speed and battery life grew at the same pace...

5. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

Hard to say, but I suspect especially from the 5s forward iPhones will age more gracefully as today's SOCs are much more powerful than the A4 in the iPhone 4 or even the A5 in the 4s. My guess is that the 1 GB of ram in the 5s will become more of an issue over time. If you're worried about the 5s becoming slow with iOS 10 I would stick with iOS 9 for a little bit after iOS 10 is released and wait for some reviews on how iOS 10 performs on older devices before making a decision.

6. bniu macrumors 6502a

The A7 was the pioneer of the 64-bit era for iPhones, and it was so overpowered that even its A8 successor was only about 25% faster.

The A9 was again another monumental leap forward. As we've seen, the 'S' phones have all been quite overpowered, hence, their long life span. Even the 4S and its A5 processor are still running iOS 9, not so good, but they can surely still run it.

7. Savor Suspended

Savor

The iPhone 4 was the final single core iPhone and the 4s had a 7x faster GPU. Most phones at whatever platform released from the 2010-2011 simply won't hold up today anymore. This includes iPhone 4, 4s, BlackBerry Bold 9900, Nokia N9, Nokia Lumia 800, Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, HP Pre 3, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and so on. I wanted an N9 but I knew it just wouldn't hold up for me in 2016.

I think between 2007-2011 were some of the coolest years in smartphone development. But nostalgia won't fool me into using majority of those released in the pre-2013 eras. I think we are living the best time of smartphones when a $30 prepaid quad core smartphone like a Moto E 2nd gen and Lumia 640 are much better to use than flagships from the pre-2013 era. Premium flagships is boring me as I don't see the value in them. The midrange and budget phones is becoming the more interesting segment where Xiaomi, Huawei, ZTE, ASUS, Motorola, and so on have shown us we don't need to pay more than $200 to get a good smartphone.

It is like in video games. People don't appreciate the PS Vita released in 2012 when it is more powerful than a PS2, the best Sony console ever made. It is a retro gamer's dream come true handheld. I think phones released from 2007-2011 is like the transition from 16-bit era to 32-bit/64-bit. But alot of the PS1, Saturn, and N64 graphics don't hold up as well conpared to the 6th gen that followed it. The 4th gen was the pinnacle of 16-bit gaming. The 5th gen was going through beta with 3D graphics that improved dramatically by the 6th gen of consoles.

Smartphones went through the same phases. A boon in this decade but the first few years of the 2010's still went through growing pains. Maybe since 2013 and now, their stage is going from PS2 to PS3 or even incremental like PS3 to PS4. We reach a comfortable "good enough" stage with specs that giant premium phones with 2K/4K displays with sub-4000 mAh unremovable batteries is not really needed by consumers.

I think now that market is saturated enough, we will see a decline in sales for all smartphones. Same thing that happened to consoles, handhelds, desktops, laptops, and tablets. Any tangible product will decline in sales once everyone owns them. Lesser times to upgrade. Use your smartphones much longer. I still see alot of iPhone 4/4s. Half decade old hardware. Imagine how much more common we will see 5s users by 2020? Just as many with more mature and defined hardware...

8. ForumHangout thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. IT was all very useful.

9. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

This. My previous 5S was only beginning to struggle with certain websites, and it had everything to do with RAM. It was a very similar situation with the 4 that I had prior to that.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

The iPhone 4 was a very slow phone and I perceived it as slow when I first received mine new. I always anticipated that phone would become horrendously laggy.

The difference with the 6 is that it was monumentally fast when new. How it can seem relatively so much slower is a mystery to me. I think this is what's spawning some of the conspiracy theory that Apple is intentionally crippling year old hardware to sell new product.

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

The 5s only issue could be the 1 GB RAM, but iOS and WP aren't RAM hungry like Android is. The 4s only had 512 MB and still gets updated. The A4 chip's biggest issue was being a single (underclocked to 800 Mhz) with a GPU that wasn't very powerful at the time it was released. I remember playing Subway Surfers on my iPhone 4 back in 2013 and saw it stuttering. It got laggy playing Candy Crush! Probably not that much more powerful than the terrible Adreno 200 that my Nexus One had which couldn't play SNES ROMs smoothly.

I am comparing my current phones from five years ago -

Apple iPhone 4 (2010) -> Xiaomi Mi 3 (2013)
    Google Nexus One (2010) - > LG G3 Beat (2014)
    Samsung Focus (2010) - > Microsoft Lumia 640 (2015)

As much as I love the smaller designs of a half decade ago hardware, I still can't go back to a screen smaller than "4.5. I can't go back to the single core, weaker GPUs, weaker battery life, and poorer cameras. I don't think either iOS and Android started hitting its stride until after 2012. Android didn’t get mature until Jelly Bean's Project Butter.

I probably would rather use a $30 Moto E (2nd gen) than any of my phones from five years ago with the exception of the iPhone 4 because its battery life was the only decent one from that trio. I would rather use my cheaper LG, Lumia, and Moto E more than my HTC One M7 from three years ago of longer battery life, less overheating, and no purple photos. I like aesthetics from yesteryear but prefer the overall performances of more recent ones at whatever price range from now.

Microsoft Lumia 640
    Motorola Moto E or G
    Xiaomi Redmi 3
    ASUS Zenfone Max
    ZTE Zmax 2
    Huawei Honor 5X

There are some terrific sub-$200 smartphones out there that would destroy flagships from a half decade ago. I would rather own a ZTE Zmax 2 than a Nexus 4! Going from iPhone 4 to 5s was a huge leap. Going from say 5s to SE is like going from PS4 to PS4 Neo.