When will the iPhone not be locked with AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Khryz, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Please excuse my ignorance as I have not been following the iPhone seeing as how I have T-Mobile (which sucks) and can't afford one right now, but I do plan on getting one in the future.

However I also hear AT&T has poor service so ideally I would like to wait until I can legitimately activate an iPhone under Verizon service since that is the best provider in my area (New York). I could have sworn that when the iPhone was announced it was going to be paired with AT&T for 2 years, where after that it is "unlocked."

Can someone just give me a quick answer then this thread can be closed? Thanks!

2. ttech10 macrumors 6502

I believe they signed a 5 year deal... so in 4 years it should be over.

3. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Yes by law after your contract expires you can ask the phone company to unlock the phone for you. Not sure how or if this is going to work with the iPhone.

4. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

5 year contract so a few left but I would be surprised if they left AT&T after that especially if the 3G iPhone continues its climb sales wise

AT&T will do whatever it can to keep its exclusive deal and I think they have the money and power to make that happen

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I am not sure that is right. They can't prevent you from unlocking the phone, but I am not aware of any law that requires US providers to unlock phones for people.