When will the MacBook pros be updated now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benledgebob, Oct 23, 2010.

  1. benledgebob macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    #1
    Ok so I was completely confident that the MBP would get a spec bump during the back to the Mac event as we all know this did not happen although a slightly faster i7 option was added I was expecting a lot more. So I was looking at the buyers guide and the MBP is due for an update in the next few days and the MB in month. Also the mini in a few months so I was wondering do you think all three things will be updated in early 2011 when the mini is due or individually soon? Personally I think if apple were going to update the MBP soon as the buyers guide suggests they would have done it in the back to the Mac event.
    Now the reason I care so much is that I have been looking into getting a Mac for a while now I have about £1500 at the moment and if I wait to after Christmas I would have around £2000 and I am considering getting an iMac as it seems to offer the best value for money but I would prefer a Mac laptop of some kind as I already have a really powerful gaming desktop. That I recently updated with a six core CPU (AMD phenom 11 x6 1090t black edition) so I think a laptop would be better suited but I don't want to get the MBP now and it get updated in few weeks. Also I think the MBP are a bit over priced at the moment. The main things I would do on a Mac is HD video editing and some work in Photoshop so for me this kind of eliminates the air. So any advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance
     
  2. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #2
    sure it's overpriced but the next refresh won't get any cheaper. the way the $ is going right now apple might even make it more expensive here at the other side of the ocean.

    next refresh most likely won't be sandy yet, so what use is there in waiting if not for the late 2011 model?
     
  3. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    #3
    Cool thanks for the info also what do you reckon on me getting a 27 inch iMac I mean as I said I have the gaming pc and an iPad do you think it would be stupid I mean I hardly take my iPad out with me ever so I doubt I would a MBP but it would be nice to take to friends houses occasionally although I'm sure the iPad can handle what ever I would need to do at a friends house.
     
  4. wschutz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #4
    No one knows...

    I don't know how you had this idea of MBPs being refreshed now when they have been recently renewed... there's nothing new now... and probably we won't see anything till June 2011, right before Lion is presented...

    Do you need it now? Buy it. Don't need it now? Wait ;)
     
  5. Nein01 macrumors 6502

    Nein01

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2009
    Location:
    Germany
    #5
    i thought the general consensus was a february-ish sandy bridge update..
     
  6. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    #6
    Yeah I was expecting an i series CPU in the 13 inch and a spec bump in the 15 and 17. Also I would not say I need it but i do really want it and have already been waiting for a few months.
     
  7. kingsal macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    #7
    90 days, so late Jan at the earliest.. Apple might roll out the Mac App Store along with a refresh. Probably right before Macworld.
     
  8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

    iLog.Genius

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario
    #8
    Even if they did, it would likely only be a speed bump in CPU like they always have. There's no other hardware upgrade that Apple would change. I doubt that the speed bump would benefit you much so if you need a computer, might as well get one now.
     
  9. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    #9
    Nice thanks for the info I don't know if I can wait that long so I would have to go for an iMac soon or do you think that is a mistake?
     
  10. iprashant.menon macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    #10
    Apple needs to add 1GB video cards to it's MBP line..
     
  11. lbeaumont macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #11
    Apple also needs to drop the price of their computers since other currencies are faring better against the USD :/
     
  12. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    #12
    What do you guys think about the 27 inch i3 iMac should I get that now or wait to early next yeah and get a MBP remember I have the gaming pc
     
  13. kingsal macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    #13
    Sure -- go for the iMac if you can't wait that long, I think that is a good option for you if you don't need a portable machine.
     
  14. Apple NZ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2010
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #14
    That's what I was thinking, new MacBook Pros along with new software, the App Store.

    I'm really hoping for the refresh in late Jan as after 2 days of a lot of thinking I decided to wait for the refresh.

    I didn't want to risk buying the current model because it is possible we could see a redesign, better battery life or some other amazing feature. Also Sandy Bridge is likely so that gives me a better computer!

    Apple might even surprise us with Blu-Ray drive and ability for graphics switching in Bootcamp! (I know it's unlikely, but wouldn't that be awesome?)

    So hopefully I can get my hands on the next MBP by the time University starts in March. But for now I will treat myself to an iPod Touch :D
     
  15. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    #15
    Ok guys thanks for all your help i've decided to go with the 27 inch i3 3.2GHz I will prbably go to the apple store to get it later today.
     
  16. gothamm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    #16
    not sure why you'd get a desktop when you have a hexacore gaming rig.
     
  17. ozreth macrumors 65816

    ozreth

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2009
    #17
    huh...?

    holy run-on ha.
     
  18. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2008
    #18
    Why? It's a very specific requirement and Apple loves to pretend customers with specific requirements don't exist. Most people don't even need 512mb let alone 1gb. I'd love a better GPU option in general though, subpar and then underclocked is not a great combo.
     
  19. pedrofan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2008
    #19
    Nvidia gt 330m 512mb in a 2000€ laptop at october 24th 2010 IS A BAD JOKE.
     
  20. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    #20
    Yh I changed my mind for the thousandths time since looking at macs another desktop seems stupid the screen just looked so awesome:eek: lol. So my thought now is the 13 inch MBP just the base model my only concern is that the core 2 duo is very old and that apple will put an I series CPU in very soon. What do you think?
    1) would the current 13 inch MBP be ok for iMovie video editing, Photoshop and normal day to day things?
    2) what do you think the next MBP refresh be major and worth waiting for?
    3) also if it is just putting an i3 in the 13 inch would that be a noticeable difference worth waiting for?
     
  21. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    #21
    Well first off, i'm not sure why you were expecting some huge update right now since there aren't any new processors (except the 2.8) at the time, and with that beings said the macbook pro isn't going to be updated for at least a couple months until sandy bridge comes out. When that happens you will still be looking at dual cores and around a 10-15% clock for clock increase. The GPUs would more than likely be upgraded but apple usually keeps the same GPU for 2 MBP generations so that isn't a sure thing. The i3 isn't very different than the Core 2 Duo performance wise, but with that being said you will almost definitely get a higher resolution screen with the upgrade in the MBA's screen. If your going for a 13.3 inch then i don't think the waiting 3+ months will be worth it, if you wanted the 15" then it would be more worth the wait.
     
  22. benledgebob thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    #22
    Thanks for the info this is making me seriously considering getting it now. Also I don't think the GPU will be a major concern I mean as long as I can play HD video and have the occasional game (nothin to demanding) I should be fine. The 320m should be able to handle that shouldn't it? Also the screen res update will be good but it's not worth waiting for really.
     

Share This Page