When will the next refresh happen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by surjavarman, Jul 31, 2011.

1. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I am not satisfied with my 2011 MBP13 but it is too soon to sell it and get the new MBA13. Not to mention that they will be similar in experience and performance. The MBA13 would just be a lighter version of a laptop that I don't like.

What are the chances that there will be a new MBA refresh by the end of the year (november)? Just like the last time.

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

wtf....

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

The Buyers Guide link at the top will show you the frequency between all Air updates. You should be able to make an educated guess from that.

4. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Im gonna say no chance in hell...also, quite the stupid question. This isnt Samsung or LG, Apple doesnt release a new product over top of an old one <5 months after the original release.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

zero chance

7. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

April 15th, 2012 at 9am Pacific Standard Time.... seriously it was released 2 weeks ago no one has any idea

8. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I read rumors of a MBA15 so I thought they would release the new MBA13 at the same time as the MBA15.

So what should I do? Should I wait for the next MBP15/MBA15 and go for the MBP/ipad combo? Or should I sell my current mbp13 right now and get the air13?

9. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Dude, you are just crazy.....
    Have you ever seen Apple update MBP or MBA in 4 months? No chance at all. Wait until 2012 or 2013 if you want some big upgrades.

10. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can I get an answer?

I have buyers remorse and it keeps on haunting me.

11. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Short answer is NO! If you need it now buy it or wait another yr.

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

They certainly won't release another new MBA13 this year. You're going to have to look at what is out now.

13. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Tuesday.

/Jim

14. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Darn it. I should have waiting like a month or so before I bought the MBP13. I have virtually no enjoyment at all when I use this laptop

15. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Your question is silly. The new MBAs were released 2 weeks ago.

If you have buyer's remorse, sell your MBP and buy one of the MBAs that were just released. They are excellent machines.

16. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

you'll wait forever. not sure what your uses are either.

i went for the portability, which the MBP 13 has, but not over the airs (i have an "11).

17. MilkMan4 macrumors regular

i kind of want to mark my calendar just to see if you end up being right haha

18. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I upgraded from a thinkpad to a mbp13. And I was looking for an UPGRADE when I did that!

But in terms of display and weight it was a downgrade. And it terms of performance the SSD and i5 isn't that much better than what I had before. I always have my computer in sleep mode anyway and probably the heaviest apps that I use are chrome and itunes. So it doesnt feel like it would blow the thinkpad out of the water regardless what the specs on paper say. I also wanted to do some mild gaming which I couldn't do before on my old laptop but yeah I gave up because I am just not into hardcore gaming.

The mbp15 would be an upgrade and a downgrade at the same time. Upgrade because of hi-res glossy screen. Downgrade because of size, weight and money. I am not sure about the mba13. It seems like it would just be a lighter version of the mbp13. So I was really hoping new macbooks would come out buy the end of the year. I don't know how long I can stand using this laptop.

19. calvol macrumors 6502a

MBA refresh will probably be in step with the Intel release of Ivy in Q1/Q2 2012. I would wait and upgrade to the new MBP next year, as it will be closer to a MBA form factor. MBP 13 is a good machine, hang on to it.

20. 2IS macrumors 68030

You're going to the wrong sites. :p

21. KPOM macrumors G5

The current MacBook Airs were released less than 2 weeks ago. They won't be updated anytime soon, and I highly doubt they will before the Ivy Bridge chips become available next spring. There are rumors of a 15" thinner MacBook Pro before the end of the year, but they are just rumors right now.

What is it that you don't like about the 13" MacBook Pro, and what do you expect to be different enough about the next MacBook Air to make you like it so much more than your Pro? If it's the size, then see what you can get for your Pro and go for an Air. If it's the power, then you'll need to wait until the Pro or Air get updated, or switch to a larger Mac if you want to use OS X. If it's OS X, then get a Windows notebook or install Windows in Boot Camp. If it's the screen, the 13" Air has a higher resolution screen, though the Pro's screen has better colors.

Until we know what it is you strongly dislike about the 13" MPB, we really can't give you much meaningful advice.

22. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well it is not one specific thing. What I can say is that power has nothing to do with it. I could still do with a C2D.

But I don't like the display compared to the MBP15. I don't like the size and weight compared to the MBA and my old thinkpad. There are some features I like in os x but there are more features I like in windows.

I was looking for a compromise and I thought the MBP13 was the perfect compromise. But it is heavy yet it doesn't have the screen real estate of the MBP15 or the color reproduction of the thinkpad. Its hurting me when I let it rest on my lap, chest or stomach yet I don't get anything back in return to compensate for that. It doesn't appreciate me.

23. KPOM macrumors G5

The 13" MacBook Air has a higher resolution than the 13" Pro, but the latter has better color reproduction. Did your Thinkpad have an SSD? If so, then I'm not surprised you didn't notice too much difference, but if not, I am a bit surprised since SSDs are significantly faster than hard drives. It doesn't appear you need the power of the i5 since your Core 2 Duo Thinkpad was sufficient for your needs, and you also don't seem to like OS X.

Perhaps you are really in the market for a nice Windows ultraportable? Maybe the Sony Vaio Z? It's pricy (even more expensive than the top-of-the-line Air), but it's a tad lighter than the 13" Air and equipped more like the 15" Pro in terms of CPU. Otherwise, you may be better off waiting for the rumored 15" slim Pro, but that's probably several months off if it is coming this year at all.

24. activ8 macrumors member

The OP's post is the most confusing thing I ever read. :confused: You're asking about a laptop that you don't even like. Hypocrisy much?

25. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

He said he's not satisfied with the MBP...not the MBA that he is wanting to switch to.