When will the next update come?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LethalUK, Jun 10, 2009.

1. LethalUK macrumors member

I plan on replacing my HP laptop around Christmas time, but if an update won't come until late next year I might as well update now. With Apple not going to Macworld 2010 when is the next minor and major updates due?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nobody has any idea when any of Apple's products will be updated. According to the buyer's guide, the average time between updates on Apple notebooks is around 6-7 months, putting the next update sometime in late january/early february 2010.

3. friareunuch macrumors member

there is a lot of buzz around new intel processors, new SSDs, and OLED screens for late '09 and early '10.

if you can wait until then to buy, you'd reap the benefits.

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

fall, same as everything else

They will of course bump the specs in fall, with the release of Snow Leopard Im sure. I wouldnt expect anything new, just faster stuff for the same price.

An OLED screen laptop isnt going to happen, it would cost a fortune.

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

6. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Update now. At the end of the year, they may come out with a new model or they may not. Even if they come out with a new model, folks will be talking about waiting for the next one, and the one after that... two years from now, it'll be the same discussion. I honestly don't see any new notebook updates to Jan/Feb for the start of the year.

7. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

It only took 2 days since the update for the first "When is the next update going to happen" thread...

I guess I should be impressed that it lasted even that long.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know exactly when, but if a guy named Tallest Skil decides to answer, I suggest you don't listen to him. :p

Trust me when I say, "Nobody knows." That is the answer. Anything that anybody else tells you is a guess.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Beware the folly...

10. Dias macrumors 6502

A week after you'll buy one.

11. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Isn't that the truth. If this week taught us anything, that was it.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Again, it was a guess.

If the guy who asked the question believed it, then I sort of feel bad about that. However, just remember that nothing is definite, and it's not anybody's fault if you come here and believe someone's guess just because they sound like they know what they're talking about. :eek:

13. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

People need to understand that some users feel like presenting their opinion as an outright fact, which is a little confusing for newcomers. I feel sorry if they fell for that, but I was going around trying to warn people of a possible incoming update because of Intel's lineup refresh, even though some people were convinced it'll be until November.

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

(Fade in from black to William Shatner)

Q: When will the next update come?
    A: Sometime... In... The... Future!

(Cue awesome theme music!)

Attached Files:

15. ColinEC macrumors 6502

I was wondering when the next update would come myself.

I would love to buy a MacBook Pro now, but I simply cannot afford one. I know I will be able to afford one by the end of the year, though.

Do you guys feel that this is the last update the MacBook Pros will receive in 2009 until 2010, or will there be more to come? I'm guessing a little after Snow Leopard is released they'll bump things up (which may be the time that I purchase).

16. Poirot818 macrumors regular

Tallest Skil probably pissed off a lot of people so it's no wonder he hasn't made a post since 6/3.

edit: I also have a feeling that we'll see an update in October or November and not January or February like most people are guessing. Since 2006 there have been two updates per year for the laptop line.

17. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I think another 2009 update is possible if Apple chooses to use Clarksfield in the notebooks instead of Arrandale. I don't think it's likely because the 13" MacBook Pro and low-end 15" MacBook Pro use much cheaper CPUs than the cheapest Clarksfield. Arrandale may not be available in late 2009, so I don't think Apple will update half the MacBook Pros to Nehalem while leaving the other half with Penryn (or using significantly more expensive CPUs).

I think there is a greater chance the white MacBook will be updated in late 2009.

That's a fair point. Although the March 2009 "update" was on the same level as the November 2007 one.

The CPU isn't the only factor in an update. In addition to the CPU bump, we saw RAM and HDD boosts, as well as price drops and other changes (battery, display, I/O, name change). That's more than enough for an update. Much of this was rumored/speculated one way or another while others were unexpected, but even the updates that were considered fairly likely before WWDC were enough for an update.

18. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I wonder at what point in Tallest Skil's life he decided to become the ruiner of everyone's day.

Perhaps long ago, somewhere far far away, Tallest Skil posted on a message board asking anyone if they knew when the next Apple update would be and whether or not he should purchase one. Perhaps he was told that he should wait, and wait he did. He waited for that update, but it never came. And so, Tallest Skil was left with with no Mac, and no pride. In order to somehow regain that lost pride, he decided from then on to crush everyone's predictions of Mac updates, pretend that he is smarter than everyone, and post nothing but bullsh*t.

To this day, Tallest Skil is still pissed, giving poor advice and making everyone feel inferior, when it is himself that is the inferior one. He roams Macrumors.com, searching for his next victim... a macrumors newbie!

19. iMacmatician macrumors 601

On the other hand, his Gainestown thread was pretty good if you ask me.

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It was good one and he knows much about computers but he's so rude and when it's about Apple, there's rules when updates exists.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nah, just couldn't care less about this immature contest. That, and we were away.

Rebuttal: At least I make predictions instead of sitting idly by and ignoring people.