When will the rMBP be available for ship to store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drmountaindeww, Jul 20, 2012.

1. drmountaindeww macrumors member

I'll be ordering my rMBP soon and to avoid sales tax, I'm shipping it to New Hampshire but since I don't live there I need to ship it to store. Right now online Apple says it isn't eligible for ship-to-store. Why is that and when will it be available? Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nobody knows. It's probably not available because they're busy shipping them directly to customers.

3. specik macrumors 6502

specik

These are in crazy high demand. I waited almost 4 weeks for the one I'm using to write this post. That's probably the reason for the lack of in-store pickup. Stores do stock some of the base models though.

Additionally, tax evasion is sort of frowned upon...

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes it is, but it's not relevant here because there is no tax evasion going on.

5. drmountaindeww thread starter macrumors member

That may be true but I'm 14, and I have a job but little hours so I try my best to cut my costs. In this case I'm saving about $120.

6. blazeken996 macrumors member

14 and a rMBP? Surely it's overkill...

7. drmountaindeww thread starter macrumors member

Keep you're unnecessary opinions to yourself. You have no idea what I'm using it for, and it doesn't matter anyway. I'm obligated to spend my money on what I want and you're response has no relevance to my question. At least I have a legitimate job. A lot of adults don't even have a job.

8. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

It's a forum. People are going to give their opinions.

Pretty sure you mean entitled.

This is a very naive statement.

If you're ordering from massachusetts, just wait until the tax holiday. It's about 3 weeks away.

9. sleepness macrumors newbie

I love seeing a 14 year old insult people in this terrible economy.

10. drmountaindeww, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

drmountaindeww thread starter macrumors member

Yea I did mean entitled. I knew obligated didn't sound right.

I hope I can, I just don't have enough money yet. My parents don't want to lend me money for the difference, but it's my birthday in a week. Wish me luck lol!

11. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Excellent. I didn't realise that tax evasion was absolutely fine if you can't afford something. I might use that excuse next time...

12. Funkenstein macrumors regular

60% of the time it works every time.

13. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

You do realize all orders off of amazon are "tax evaded", right? Technically, you're still suppose to report the purchase and pay the sales tax. However, it is never enforced.

14. Doggonit macrumors regular

You armchair tax attorneys clearly don't know the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion. Why don't you leave the kid be and go harass someone else about not paying taxes that they can legally circumvent?

15. terraphantm macrumors 68040

As someone who was once 14... don't spend $3k on a laptop. Save the money, keep saving for a couple years, and buy a car when you're 16. That'll make you a lot happier as a teenager...

16. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

'Your', not 'you're'. Learn which one to use from young age!

It's not tax evasion and it's a smart thing to do. Since when did everyone become obsessed with enforcing the tax world rules? It's one thing being a thief and another being smart and making the system work for you.

17. drmountaindeww thread starter macrumors member

Haha thanks for correcting my grammar mistake. I second guessed myself and wrote you're lol. And thank you, for at least someone to agree with my point! Everyone complains about how taxes are constantly raised, yet they get all defensive just to be rude when someone is trying to save $120 in sales tax. Oh well haha.

----------

I'm spending 2.1k, and I'm about to get a second or third job. I don't need money management from strangers as I have friends and family, and I might already have a car lined up for me :)

18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

19. terraphantm macrumors 68040

2.1k huh? Must be using the education discount then. You do know you're not eligible for that unless as a middle school/high school student, right?

And kid, there's really no need to scoff at some friendly advice. We all were 14 before - I know what it's like to think I know better than everyone else. I know I hated being the only kid in my class without a car. But if you've already got one lined up, then whatever, more power to you. I can't say too much, I spent a fair bit on my PC back in the day (though never a laptop... a powerful desktop made more sense back then)

I would buy from Amazon (or another online vendor) in your shoes since you're apparently going for a base version. No tax, and you'll save the gas expense of going to Delaware to (from MA, that'll cost you probably $100)

20. blazeken996 macrumors member

Woah woah woah... I'm just saying its not worth blowing all the money on a laptop this expensive.

Who says I don't have a job? I'm 17 and have started up a VPN business with a monthly income in excess of 1200USD.

21. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Is this actually tax evasion? Maybe tax avoidance, but... You're actually purchasing a product in another state, so it's not like you're not paying legitimate state taxes.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to pay back sales tax on online purchases from out-of-state online stores (like Amazon), but you never see those people get into moral conundrums...

22. TLewis macrumors 65816

True, but ... give the kid a break. Compared to what passes for kid grammar and txtspeak these days, he's a regular Voltaire. :D :p

23. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Wait until shipment delays are reduced to 2-3 days and I'm certain it will be available as an option.

24. drmountaindeww thread starter macrumors member

I probably will still go through apple though because if I got it from B&H then I wouldn't get a student discount or the Apple Store gift card. Thanks for the link anyways. I think I know some people that would be interested and could benefit from this site.

Also, do you know why they are shipping without sales tax? Thanks.

----------

Thank you for the response. I hope this is true! This is the first reply that actually had a relevant response to my question! :)

----------

Okay, I see where you're coming from and I understand your point. But it's easy for someone like myself to get mad at someone who doesn't know why I'm spending so much on a computer. I got a crappy computer in 2009 and am so fed-up with it, so I want to get a computer that is overly powerful, will last a long time, and especially through my last 3 high school years.

----------

Yes, I know. I'm a high school student and I am very much so eligible. Thank you though, lol.

Well I'm getting the upgraded RAM for video editing and stuff, and instead of paying $120 in sales tax, I can spend $35 on gas to drive to NH. But like someone else mentioned, I may get it on Mass. tax-free weekend so I'll have to see how everything plays out.

25. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

If you are not set on the retina model I would just order a high end refurbished MBP and upgrade it myself with an SSD and 16GB of ram.