When will the thinness stop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bnekic, May 15, 2014.

1. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

I'm all for my iDevices getting thinner but I was curious when will it stop? It seems for the most part every redesign they make the device thinner. But at some point due to technical limitations they can't go any thinner....?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree, Apple's obsession with thinner products has to stop at some point. With the iPhone 5 having issues getting bent from people's back pockets, its time to make sure that they're not sacrificing structural strength in the name of thinness

3. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I love thin, the thinner the better. What's nice about the iphones is they charge so quickly. The 5s may not have the best battery life, but it charges up so quickly that it's a non issue as I'm in my car or at work most of the time. If the thinness bothers you because of the battery life just get a battery case, problem solved.

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Probably when it becomes so thin that it completely disappears and becomes just an idea, or at least when it becomes knife-thin that it starts cutting people's hands.

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Who would put a phone in their back pocket and NOT expect it to be damaged? There has to be a point where user stupidity is not blamed on the manufacturer or design.

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

There will come a point where the device is too thin to easily pick up off a flat surface, and where it is uncomfortable to hold. I think the iPhone 5 and 5S are already thin enough, anything more would infringe on comfort.

If Apple can successfully make the internal parts smaller, then they should use this progress to enable a larger battery to be squeezed into the remaining space.

8. grosvenorgirls macrumors newbie

Re:

Its got to be at the iphone 5; the iphone 6 could well be thinner but, it may not be becasue of structural integrity like others have mentioned.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

People who did it for years and never damaged their phones in the past.:rolleyes:

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I guess when it's paper thin apple will stop. But for bigger phones thinner is better for holding it.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thin in fine, as long as it doesn't affect the durability of the case itself. Personally, Apple should keep it at 5/5S in-depth - it's thin and light enough. From here, squeeze in more battery.

12. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I don't like excessively thin phones. My S3 can be difficult to hold because of it, and that's not even the thinnest phone out there.

The first company to give me a full size USB port in a phone gets my money immediately. Too bad it will never happen due to the unending worship at the altar of thinness.

13. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I like thin phones. the thinner the better. and realistically, would apple make the iphone thicker next year?

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

USB ports are not very needed in a smart phone.

15. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I would use one every day for transferring files, pictures, and videos. It's faster and more private than syncing through the internet and it would add a lot more flexibility.

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Enjoy

Attached Files:

17. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Can't really fit that on a keychain. And the thinness of the phone is negated if I have to stuff adapters in my pocket.

I'm not saying a USB is necessary for everyone, but I would buy a phone with it in a heartbeat because it would make my life a heck of a lot easier.

18. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Paper thin level.

Didnt Nokia have a design for that paper like surface that you can wrap around your hand and it becomes a watch like device. Hilarious, who wants that.

19. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Realistically? I think never. As long as technology allows I believe Apple will continue to make devices thinner and thinner. I think they will eventually go to software volume and sleep buttons, a proprietary or bluetooth only audio out, etc.

20. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

If it completely becomes an idea, then Steve jobs would made it back into reality, and that's what apple will do again :)

21. TsunamiTheClown macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

I think that the thinness is perhaps a parallel goal of the Apple design team to also reduce the device's mass.

I agree thinness has it's drawbacks but I'm all for a lighter device as this gives the phone / tablet more resilience to impact from being dropped. The lighter the device is the less impact it generates from a fall of height X. Probably one of the biggest reasons that iDevices are damages is from being dropped.

Just a thought.

22. bnekic thread starter macrumors 6502a

bnekic

I think if the iPhone 6 becomes iPod touch thin, I would be happy if they stop there. That would be super thin for a phone but still great to hold because of the rounded edge design.

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well good luck with getting one.

24. Luuthian macrumors member

Yeah I think that would be most people's limit... Although I'm sure it'll be the technological limit anyways.

Still, I wish they'd have left it as thick as the 5/5S and made the battery bigger. Now we have to hope against hope that the new phone will somehow improve battery life despite having such a small battery and a larger screen.

25. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yeah I do stupid things all the time and surprise myself that I'm still alive, lol. Seriously, cell phones with glass screens, plastic or aluminum bodies, electronic circuit boards, etc are not meant to be sat on by a +/- 175lb human being.

Using the lack of ability to SIT on your cell phone as not wanting it to be thin is hilariously bad. There are much better examples, such as not wanting decreased battery life. :rolleyes::rolleyes: