When will the updated Macbook announcement be made?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by citivolus, Feb 24, 2016.

?

When will the updated Macbook announcement be made?

1. Silent update prior to March event

5.3%
  2. Announced at March event

53.2%
  3. Silent update between March event and WWDC 2016

22.3%
  4. Announced at WWDC 2016

14.9%
  5. Sometime after WWDC 2016

4.3%
  1. citivolus macrumors 6502a

We all know at some point the rMB will be updated...the question is when!

2. keviig macrumors 6502

Seeing as Skylake core M equipped laptops have been for sale for months now, i'd be surprised if the rMB didn't get a Skylake and possibly TB3 (Usb C) connector update at the March event.

3. wiredup72 macrumors regular

wiredup72

I just wish I could grasp when the skylake rMB will be available to buy. I need a new laptop very very soon and I hate being right at that window when a big processor change is about to happen.

4. zippster macrumors regular

zippster

^^^^^ This.. just sold my MBP and I'm desperate to buy a new macbook in gold.. :S hurry up already!!

5. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Haha. I'm in the exact same boat. I bought an 11in MBA on the cheap to hold me over.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2016 ---
    Oh and one other thing, with all the recent sales on the original rMB, I'm thinking it can't be too far away.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

7. keviig macrumors 6502

I agree. Skylake + possibly TB3 port would mean no visible change to it, so a slient update or maybe short mention during keynote seems likely.

8. Fegbert macrumors newbie

Fegbert

Either an March update, or June WWDC at the latest. So within 4 months.

9. zippster macrumors regular

zippster

i can't wait 4 months!! :):):) tempted to run out and buy the 1.1 now and take it back if a new one is announced on the 15th!

i also read the 1.1 it quicker than the 1.2? sounds weird>±

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Funny you say this. I previously had the 1.2 (which I sold), and I jumped on the best buy deals. The 1.1 is running better than my 1.2 ever did. UI lag, apps opening.....it's all smoother and faster. It really makes no sense. To be fair, I did sell my 1.2 at the beginning of January and updates since then could be the cause.

To the OP, I say a "silent" update at the March event. They will mention something, but it will be very very brief. "oh, and we updated the macbook to skylake"

11. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

How big a dropoff in the processor would I notice coming from a base model 2015 MBA? I know the numbers...just more concerned about the real world application.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

What real world applications are you using? As someone who uses the office suite, remote desktop, and the stock apps (safari, photos, music, mail, etc) I notice zero difference between a 2015 pro and the macbook.

13. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

March 2017, yes.

BJ

14. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Probably the most intensive thing I'm ever running is Garageband for editing and exporting a podcast or voice overs. The occasional family video in iMovie.

Other than that, just the basics apps like Chrome, Pages, iTunes, and Photos mainly.

15. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I answered silent update between March and WWDC, but honestly it's purely up to Apple. Although I will say that the lack of a skylake bump at this point lends credibility to the rumours of something a bit more significant with its next update (ie: better camera, and maybe something different with the ports.)

At any rate, I'm in no rush. I work from home where portability isn't a priority for me, so I can keep using my 2012 cMBP until the second iteration of the rMB is out. I will get one when that time comes though, that's for sure.

16. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I'm hoping a quick few minutes during the upcoming keynote will be spent on the rMB. Great success, future of notebooks, now even better, available to order right now, etc. Since I'll buy one the minute it comes out (was waiting since last year for the second revision — please take my money, Apple), I'm expecting to be disappointed and we'll see a silent upgrade somewhere in April/May.

17. zippster macrumors regular

zippster

cait wait won't wait..

well i ran out and bought the 1.2/512 RMB today.. i couldn't wait any longer and will return for a newer version should it get announced in the next few weeks..

first impressions though are awesome, i use a M$ surface pro 4 as my work machine and i can honestly say this rmb keyboard is a delight to type on in comparison. the performance is better than expected and i love the size and weight of it..

if they make it even better in a few weeks then .. well ill be even happier :)

18. joscejrod macrumors 6502

joscejrod

At las keynote Apple announced:
    -iphone 6s/6s plus.
    -tv os/new apple Tv.
    -ipad pro/ipad mini 4.

A lot of stuff for only one keynote....now the rumors say that apple is going to release iphone se, 9.7" ipad pro and apple watch bands. Do you think that there is time for announce updates in laptops?

19. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

I'd guess so. All three don't seem like much to talk about. We had a 4" phone for years, just better internals. We know what the iPad Pro is, this is one just a smaller version. Watch bands... ok.

Additional stuff they can use to fill up the keynote:

- A bunch of updates about the Apple stores, Apple Pay, the new Apple Campus
    - A lot of filler, like they often spend 10 minutes explaining a new feature in Mail.app by showing us how to send emails
    - Demos of the new kind-of-big features in the upcoming iOS/iWatch/OS X releases
    - Stuff that hasn't leaked yet (many things often don't leak until a few days before)

Or... it's just going to be a really short keynote.

20. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

MACBOOK
    for
    WINDOWS

Book it.

BJ

21. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I think they'll make a really brief mention. They'll say how its selling really well and how they've made the best MacBook ever even better -> Skylake, TB3, 720p camera, extra hour of battery, all while lowering the price by like $100 (where they'll silently nix the MBA line).

I'm looking forward to it personally. I'm in the market to replace my 2013 rMBP that I spilled water on =(

Really want an iPad Air 3 with Pencil support too though =D

22. wiredup72 macrumors regular

wiredup72

Except this doesn't mesh with what they have been telling investors, which is that their mac sales are lagging; but I think there is no way a refresh across the line is not coming. They can't wait another quarter without moving to Skylake.

23. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Apple needs to physically overhaul the Pro and Air to move the stock price. A processor? Means nothing.

The Pro and Air are old and boring. That's Apple's issue.

BJ

24. Dave245 macrumors 601

If Apple update the 12" MacBook with new processors (maybe Skylate?) then I will be happy, that's what I'm waiting for before buying a new laptop.