When will the Zune be compatible to MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EMILinator, May 10, 2008.

1. EMILinator macrumors member

The Biggest Little City In The World, USA
    I have a Zune 80 and i also bought a MacBook last month.

Now if only i can combine the two?

I understand Apple :: iTunes as Microsoft :: Zune Marketplace

But since iTunes is compatible on both OS's, why isn't Zune Marketplace?!?! :eek:

And i would get an iPod Touch, but 32GB for $500 isn't worth it, and 8/16GB are too small. But maybe if the iPod Touch 16GB dropped in price, i would consider it.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its likely not going to happen for a long time (if ever), my guess is that if it does come, it will first be with Mozilla's Songbird.

For now you could use XP under Fusion or Parallels.

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

The Zune is not touch screen so it is not worth comparing it to an iPod touch. iPod classic may suit you better.

If you really to keep your zune, then you have to use bootcamp or parallels or VMware or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5ENLm0JsQw

4. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

Nooo.. the iPod Classic's screen is way too small for video viewing.

From what i've heard, running windows through boot camp makes my macbook's fan spin faster and harder, the CPU temp will go up drastically?

since vista is a resource hog and isn't comparable to OS X where it remains cool and quiet.

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

well it probably does but you would not be using it that much so not a big deal.

Also your sig says you HAVE a PC so why bother?

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Send a feature request to the Microsoft. Though I wouldn't hold my breath they'd make an OSX compatible version of Zune Marketplace.

7. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

Primarily for the portability. And i want all of my media on my macbook.

But good point nonetheless. maybe i should consider keeping my zune updated on my gaming PC.

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I understand your concerns however I think it would be easiest to sync it with your PC because that would also be cheaper then buying a copy of windows for the macbook

Still bootcamp should not run that badly on your macbook

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Runs pretty good with an OEM copy of XP.

They're still available, but your talking wasting drive space for just your Zune + music files. I'd parallels or vmware it. Sure it's an extra cost in addition to xp but at least you don't have to partition your drive, easy as deleting a file if/when you decide it's no longer needed, plus you don't have to reboot, can run in coherence mode, sync your zune and still work in OS X.

10. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

XP Home Edition or Vista Home Basic?
    Which is better suited for the MacBook's hardware?

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I would never recommend any version of vista to anyone.

If all you need is Zune, I would say XP Home. It would be cheaper than XP Pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

12. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

Okay. i think thats what im gonna do. i have the Vista Home Basic OEM version on my gaming rig. but for my macbook, i'll get the XP OEM.

here's a question on OEM real quick, in the future, for ANY (even stupid) reason i decide to get vista, can i just get the upgrade version from XP to Vista home basic?

13. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

You can buy the upgrade if you want. Just FYI, Vista will run fine, just don't expect to do a lot with it. I know the home editions of XP and Vista cost the same, but XP is more stable and IMO and others faster and runs more smoothly.

I prefer XP and recommend it, especially with only 2g. Others will say "Vista runs just fine" and that's true, until you start using programs that are memory intensive and running a lot of them. Like having 5 programs at once you'll see a slow down. You don't see that much slow down on XP.

Vista IMO needs more than 2g of ram. I run Vista 64 business on my gaming rig so I can use 4g of Ram and it's not that bad.

XP home OEM version is my recommendation, especially if you virtualize.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Ever since the MS codecs went from being cheap enough to include free with the OS, to too expensive and included as an add-on, to both parties refusing to budge.

Don't hold your breath.

15. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh okay. and when you run XP on boot camp, do you notice any extreme heat increases, louder and faster fan speeds? those are my primary concerns at the moment..

16. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Not on my wife's MB, but we barely boot windows only anymore. Since we only need Windows for 2 programs, we removed the partition and got VMWare and installed xp that way. For just 2 programs it runs plenty fast.

But no, we didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

17. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

hey thats what i like to hear. hopefully my results turn out the same. :D:D

and one final question.
    if i installed XP OEM through boot camp, but then decide to do the same and get rid of that partition and just run XP through VMware, will i need to install XP and put the activation key again?

18. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I think the Songbird team might be working on Zune syncing capability for the 0.6 release. But I could be wrong.

19. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

If you re-install yes.

VMWare has it's own hardware signature and that forces reactivation, as does the actual reinstallation procedure.

Hopefully if you haven't done it to recently you can just do the activatio over the net.

I normally wait until shortly before the expiration just to be sure it's the way I want it then activate it. Then again.. LOL I have an MSDN subscription so I can install any version of XP or Vista on 10 machines per OS version.

20. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

If Zune is profitable enough to continue pushing, and Macs keep gaining marketshare—particularly with the young—then it just might happen. But not, uh, soon.

21. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm sometimes i think i should just get the iPod Touch.
    -longer battery life
    -bigger screen with a higher resolution
    -works seamlessly with macs!!

the only downside is less GB, but i don't really even need 80GB.. (i have the zune 80)