When will there be a 15 inch MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by miamialley, Jul 20, 2011.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

The 13" is nice, but I'd like the 15" screen for what my usage. Any rumors about a 15"?

2. wdaleherring, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

wdaleherring macrumors member

No rumors. In fact many people think it won't happen because at that point it becomes less of an ultra-portable. Further, the weight would definitely be over 3 lbs. I know that doesn't mean much, but for what they are marketing the Air for, I don't think it will happen

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Never. The closest you will get is the 2012 15" MacBook Pro.

4. stevenpa macrumors 6502

This.

5. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

Ya sorry I dont think its going to happen, I know a few ppl want it though, guess theyll have to settle with the MBP or the new Dell

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree. As portability is the main selling point of the MBA, in the near future I doubt a 15" will be offered. However, I expect to see some of the actual design innovations of the MBA - suitably modified for the spec needs of the MacBookPro line - incorporated into the MBP line at some stage. These days, the unibody shell is practically uniform across Apple computers; I'd expect to see similar adaptations take place with the 15" MBP at some stage, so that in appearance, it may end up resembling the form factor of the MBA a bit more.

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

My prediction on the White MacBook being discontinued (and replaced by the MacBook Air) was correct, so listen to me on this one.

Apple will probably adopt some of the features in the chassis case design from the MacBook Air line, the slim-style design, as well as the 30-day sleep and instant-on features and integrate these into the MacBook Pro line. We will likely see much thinner, lighter MacBook Pros (15" and 17") with these features in the near-coming future. Apple hailed the MacBook Air as "The first in our series of future MacBooks" and "A glimpse of things to come" -- this led myself and many others I know to believe that the innovative new features on the 2010 MacBook Airs would be carried through to the MacBook Pro line eventually. Another of these features is standard solid-state storage and a "doing-away" with traditional spinning platter hard drives on the MacBook Pro. Apple still has not updated the 13" MacBook Pro display to the higher 1440x900 offered on the 13" MacBook Air -- I see this update coming soon as well.

8. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Maybe not next year, but eventually the 15" will be equivalent to a MBA, whether they call it that or not. I mean you guys really think a 15" will always be about an inch thick?

9. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

10. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Rumors are just rumors. But, apple will most likely going to hold a press conference in late October just like they did last year. Apple will most likely update entire MBP line ups with SSD and thinner Design. Current MBAs destroy MBPs in certain things.

MBP should be always more powerful than MBA. Right now, it is not.

12. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I wouldn't mind a sort of hybrid:

-- 15" "pro" screen (better color gamut, contrast, and viewing angles than Airs)
    -- discrete GPU
    -- 256 GB SSD standard, 512 GB option
    -- can take at least 8 GB RAM
    -- no optical drive (which should make it thinner)
    -- 7+ hours battery
    -- under 4.5 lbs., ideally under 4
    -- runs a bit cooler than current MacBook Pros, even if that means downclocking the CPU some (or maybe the option to)

13. stevenpa macrumors 6502

Can you tell me why the air did not come out the 5 times Macrumors said it would come out? Can you tell me why I don't have an iPhone 5 right now? Can you tell me why I don't have a Vaio Z yet? Because you should be "telling me so" since there are multiple *credible* sources telling / told me that I would be geting those items by now. So please tell me, you appear to be all knowing.

14. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

People in this thread said there's no way we'll see a 15" MBA. I said I thought we would. That's all. I wasn't going off of sources anyway, just going by the way the products seem to be going.

You don't have those items because they haven't been made yet. Anything else?