When will there be monitors larger than 30" ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DeeEss, Feb 13, 2011.

1. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

Monitors have stalled at 30" since many years but i don't believe I'm the only one in the world that wants one much larger. I'm thinking 40" wide gamut would be useful.

So I'm interested in hearing what people think about it. No, TV's are not an option.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why? The reason that nobody makes a 40" monitor is because the market is too small to be worth it. You can just get an HDTV if you really need that large of a screen sitting 2 feet in front of you.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Larger than 30" monitor?

You mean like this?
    But they do! Samsung 40"

4. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I said, TV's are not an option. There are alot of professionals that can use this size monitor. I don't believe the market is really that small.

I think the market would be much larger than alot of professional products such as $45000 camera back.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those aren't TVs and you didn't specify a minimum resolution.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I know you said that, I asked why.

Apparently not, otherwise they'd be readily available. I assume since you're asking the question you've done your research and haven't found any.

Then why aren't there more 40" monitors available?

8. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, my fault. A resolution that would scale from the current crop of 30" what ever that would be. Not just the same resolution made larger. I mean a high res wide gamut monitor.

9. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know, hence the question - when do people think they will be available? I really do think there is a need for them now.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

11. cube macrumors G5

I am still waiting for a 3D computer monitor with a resolution of at least 1920x1200 (not a video production one with SDI).

12. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is interesting. Thanks. I appreciate it.

Well in adding to my original question, I hope that larger 30" monitors are embraced by the larger regular manufacturers such as NEC etc where pricing becomes semi-reasonable and gamut can reflect Adobe 98 or close. I would love to try out a monitor like this but I can't imagine it's going to be cheap on this level of manufacturing and wether it works well or not is another mystery. It's worth some investigation though thanks for the link.

It's when manufacturing becomes competitive that good things happens though and I hope that we go further than 30" as the standard max.

13. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

What will you be using this for? Larger monitors are typically used from a farther viewing distance compared to a traditional computer display. Therefore having a high resolution (a la Apple Cinema Display or Dell ultraSharp) is almost pointless.

I am currently using a Mac Mini as my main computer connected to a LG LED/LCD TV which has a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 but i scale it down to 1280x720 for computer use. (I have excellent vision) At 1080p reading fonts, navigating the UI, and working Photoshop and iMovie is very difficult from a comfortable viewing distance. With a resolution of 2560 x 1440 (Apple Cinema Dell UltraSharp) in a 40"+ display, it would be impossible to fully utilize the full resolution unless you're sitting a foot or two away like a traditional computer display.

14. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I want a 34" 16/9 display with 3840x2160 and I want it now!

The first week with the 30" ACD was nice, the second week it was already too small. The need for larger displays / more screen real estate is definitely there, just look at the various people all over the internet that use more than just one 30" display.

The problem with larger screen is the height, though. Anything more than 50cm can get uncomfortable, which is why I asked for a 16/9 display.

15. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

My thoughts' exactly.

I have 2 NEC3090's. At first I contemplated sending the first one back as it was too big. The next day I loved it and was in awe of the size. After couple weeks it just seemed normal and I bought a second. Now I want and need bigger. Personally I don't find the height too much of an issue. The NEC has a nice stand enabling you to change the height constantly which makes sure your head isn't in one position the whole time. I move it around a fair bit, it goes as low as the table and then about 20cm's height (from the bottom of the monitor)

I would be happy with a 34" for now, but really wan't a 40. 16:9 is a little bit flat for my needs.

16. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Viewing and retouching large photos.