When will they add smiley face support?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duelingdragons, Jan 16, 2009.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I know this sounds stupid, the smile/sad/surprised faces on the iPhone look so lame... I know they have the Emoji or w/e in Japan now.

Any chance we'll get actual icons at any point in the future?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

the thing about those is whoever you send it to has to have support for them also.

3. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

That's cool.
    I would assume it would be iPhone only anyway.

4. Pared macrumors 65816

I have emoji on my US iphone.

Jailbreak is a wonderful thing.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

so only iphone to iphone? So then every single person can complain that apple doesnt do full support

6. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Wait they have smileys? Or did you write this wrong? :confused:

7. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

In japan, every cell phone comes with a large collection of universal emoji emoticons. iPhone got them in a software update.

Actually, the iPhone Emoji look waaay cooler than the regular softbank ones,

8. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Damn, I wish they were more popular over here in the US, the way you all talk about them it sounds like it would be fun to use. Oh well, maybe someday. :eek:

9. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

is this irony? every cellphone have smiles except iphone; emoticons are popular; emoticons come from the early bbs's not japan.

10. svndmvn Guest

iPhone is a wonderful thing, you can have emoji on any iPhone simply adding them to your addressbook and enabling the japanese keyboard. I have a bunch of them and my phone is not jailbroken. Of course, only iPhones see them, maybe this will do, OP?

11. sjorge macrumors member

You can receive emoji's just fine without jail breaking too.
    Just can't send em :( pitty really, then again my friends don't have iPhone or japanese phones so it would do me no good.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

13. Pared macrumors 65816

That's a great solution for the OP.

Maybe you can explain to him where he can find them, how to add them to the address book and anything else necessary so he can use them.

However, on my g/f's phone, I simply hit install. And that's not to mention all the other wonderful tools available via Jailbreaking.

Jump through hoops or not. It's your call in the end. ;)

14. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Ehh.. that Emoji hack seems like a pain and not worth the trouble...
    Is it so much to ask for that the iPhone can support the smileys?

I mean, hell, my old Treo 755p supported them.
    It's so bizarre how Apple chooses to leave such common and basic things off the iPhone.

I just don't understand it.

15. svndmvn Guest

it is not a hack, it's really easy, you just add some faces to your contacts.
    just so you know, emojis are not standard unless you have a softbank email account or something, so even if you have a japanese iPhone, it won't be enough:) Anyway, since probably 90% of iPhone customers don't care, it's just an option. If you want them so hard try that. If not, sell the phone if it's so important.

16. Pared macrumors 65816

17. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Every U.S phone I have ever owned did not have graphic emoticons, are the really popular now?

18. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

No, but we're kinda running out of features to complain about, now that the iPhone actually matches and exceeds the current phones on the market, feature-wise.

19. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Every previous phone I've had DID have smileys. It was in the text menu under options > add > graphics. These were Verizon phones btw.

20. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Yes, Apple did add the Japanese emoji support with firmware 2.2, but that's only enabled when the iPhone is on the Softbank network. I tried to enable it just to play around with all those supposedly cute-looking emoji's, but the option does not show up. :(

21. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

You can enable it if you jailbreak. There's a patch in some of the Cydia repos.

22. joneszee954 macrumors member

I use the emoji's a lot on my jailbroken phone. It is a lot of fun to do, and they have a ton of different kind of pictures to use. you can seriously have a whole conversation using just the pictures they give you, they have that many.
    Its a real shame that Apple doesn't allow any iphone to use them, since it is on all iphones with 2.2 installed, why not let people who want to use them use them. Seems silly to hold it back.
    All of my friends who have jailbroken iphones use the emojis constantly in texting. Apple should just open them up and let us use them.

23. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner