Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Just wondering -- shouldn't they show up in stores today?

No, in about 2.5 weeks. Best way to check for tihs is to go the site check the PICK UP option at which you will see it will say when they will first be avaiable in stores to pick up. It always almost takes a few weeks for new laptops and phones and probaly other things at least to be reflected physically in stores.

bradley8795

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
No, in about 2.5 weeks. Best way to check for tihs is to go the site check the PICK UP option at which you will see it will say when they will first be avaiable in stores to pick up. It always almost takes a few weeks for new laptops and phones and probaly other things at least to be reflected physically in stores.

I just picked mine up at the Chandler Fashion Mall location. They had all colors in stock, and both the $1299 and $1599 version.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I just picked mine up at the Chandler Fashion Mall location. They had all colors in stock, and both the $1299 and $1599 version.
How's the new keyboard? Did you get the $1299 or the $1599 version? Let us have your initial thoughts using it. Thank you.

bradley8795

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
How's the new keyboard? Did you get the $1299 or the $1599 version? Let us have your initial thoughts using it. Thank you.

Well I will give you the one hour of use review I guess. I got the $1299 version. First to preface, I am coming from a 13" TB MBP that was still within the return period. And had keyboard issues.

So first of all the keyboard is AWESOME, way better than it was on the TB MBP, every key seems firmer, and absolutely none are sticking yet! In my personal use it has been just as snappy as the TB MBP, but I am admittedly not someone who would really push the computer at all. The heaviest thing I do is some light photoshop work.

The screen seems the same to me as the old rMB, not as good as the MBP, the speakers are just as good as they were before. Honestly when it comes down to it, the only thing I notice different from the old rMB which I had the first gen version, is that they keyboard is way way way way, seriously WAY better.

Cons -

There are a few things I already miss though. Fist and foremost being Touch ID. Also the bigger trackpad was very nice, and it is a bit difficult getting use to the smaller one again. And not being able to charge it from either side sucks too.

That is basically my quick thoughts, can't really tell about the battery or anything else yet without more use, but I expect all that to be about the same. All in all, this is way better for me personally than the TB MBP, and I saved $500 as well. So it is a win win. I will definitely be keeping this one.

Edit: Oh and it came with space gray stickers! I think my last one just had white ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: polee

Chris916

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Are all configurations available in-store as well? Are the 16 GB ones all BTO or just the ones with The fastest processor like before? I want to get the high-end one this time, but the deals are usually almost too good at best buy to make it make any sense. As an example last year, i wanted the 512 with the fastest processor but ended up just getting the middle one with 512GB because i got 10 percent off, plus another 10 percent off, plus whatever credit back in reward zone certificates and this was just 2 weeks after release, so it would have ended up being almost $500 just for a tiny jump.

Also, can the BTO versions be ordered in-store (to pay with cash)? Thanks

bradley8795

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
Are all configurations available in-store as well? Are the 16 GB ones all BTO or just the ones with The fastest processor like before? I want to get the high-end one this time, but the deals are usually almost too good at best buy to make it make any sense. As an example last year, i wanted the 512 with the fastest processor but ended up just getting the middle one with 512GB because i got 10 percent off, plus another 10 percent off, plus whatever credit back in reward zone certificates and this was just 2 weeks after release, so it would have ended up being almost $500 just for a tiny jump.

Only the 2 base models were carried in store. BTO is still online only. They had all 4 colors of the $1299 and $1599 version is what I was referring to.

zuzox

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
United Pingdom
Damn.. that i5 is on par with a 6300U found in Surface Pro 4. I think thats a 15w CPU too.
Looking forward to seeing i7 results.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

So far just the base m3 and i5 models with 8GB are available at Michigan Avenue in Chicago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.