Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMacApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
Chicago
just curious because I love the 4 but wished I got LTE and not sure I want to wait.
Also a LTE question, kid at Best Buy says I can keep my phone number same as my phone. Is that true? Really don’t want 2 phone numbers

JWGold

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
United States
You will only have one number, which is your iPhone’s number. Through number sync, your watch and phone will only share one number. When a call comes in, you decide which device to answer.

Don’t know when the 5 will come out.

Reactions: TheMacApple

ausbill32

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2018
I have T-Mobile and they actually assigned a different number to my watch in their background systems and then messages/calls are forwarded to my watch and vice versa. I cannot actually call the watch number though, it's all done in the back end.

Jason Hensley

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2018
I have T-Mobile and they actually assigned a different number to my watch in their background systems and then messages/calls are forwarded to my watch and vice versa. I cannot actually call the watch number though, it's all done in the back end.
Same here, through Verizon. I would expect the Apple Watch Series 5 to be released late September, but I do agree with some of the above comments on waiting to launch new tech until their's something really worthy to add. granted, the Series 4 was big for me (literally lol), but the new iPhone lineup didn't seem to add much besides the Plus size being upgraded to the X platform.

nepatriot

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2018
just curious because I love the 4 but wished I got LTE and not sure I want to wait.
Also a LTE question, kid at Best Buy says I can keep my phone number same as my phone. Is that true? Really don’t want 2 phone numbers

Here's the inside scoop ... don't tell anyone: 100% positive the 5 will come out before the 6. You can take that to the bank ;).

As I understand this, the AW is an essentially an extension of your iphone, so it's the same number. Even on cellular, it's not a separate line (i.e. with its own phone number). Thats why it won't work unless you have an iphone, regardless of cellular or GPS version of the AW.

jjohnstonjr

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I think after this year Apple won’t be getting another dollar from me for a while at least. I love my Series 4 and my XS Max. If they release the 5 I won’t be picking it up

TheMacApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
Chicago
As I understand this, the AW is an essentially an extension of your iphone, so it's the same number. Even on cellular, it's not a separate line (i.e. with its own phone number). Thats why it won't work unless you have an iphone, regardless of cellular or GPS version of the AW.
I think I don’t need LTE then. They told me I could leave my phone at home and use the watch paired with AirPod and talk away. If one can’t use it without the iPhone, seems pointless

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I think I don’t need LTE then. They told me I could leave my phone at home and use the watch paired with AirPod and talk away. If one can’t use it without the iPhone, seems pointless
Yes, you can use it the way as you intended, leaving the phone at home and take calls from your watch when needed with or without headphones.

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
Um... you can use the watch without the iPhone if you have a cellular plan for it. I left my phone at home. I had a call and answered it when I was miles away from its paired iPhone. I do have cellular (LTE). The way it works is when a call comes into your number it also sends it to your watch which has its own phone number that is linked to your cell number. You can't call the number assigned to your watch but it will receive calls made to your cellular number.

Lisa

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I think after this year Apple won’t be getting another dollar from me for a while at least. I love my Series 4 and my XS Max. If they release the 5 I won’t be picking it up

Thinking the series 5 will be of the same design as the 4, so I’ll be sticking with it for another year

Probably!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thinking the series 5 will be of the same design as the 4, so I’ll be sticking with it for another year

The Series 5 won’t change physically, as it doesn’t have a reason too. Apple will likely continue to focus on watchOS improvements, Healh updates, etc. They might however, add another casing color or option to the line up, which would make sense to gain attraction if a Series 5 watch launches in Fall 2019.

Reactions: yui4

TheMacApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2015
Chicago
Um... you can use the watch without the iPhone if you have a cellular plan for it. I left my phone at home. I had a call and answered it when I was miles away from its paired iPhone. I do have cellular (LTE). The way it works is when a call comes into your number it also sends it to your watch which has its own phone number that is linked to your cell number. You can't call the number assigned to your watch but it will receive calls made to your cellular number.

Lisa
Thankyou, someone earlier said it would not work.

DeNachtwacht

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
The Apple Watch Series 5 should/could add:
-blood glucose measurement
-blood pressure measurement
-skin/body temperature measurement

But all of these three options are really tough to achieve and untill now, no rumors of an S5 have kraker. Normally, new rumors are spreiding around december. So I guess we’re not getting a S5 in 2019, only watchOS 6

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Series 4 was a big step forward. If there will be a new Watch in 2019, I bet it will be a rather small step. You cannot expect such dramatic improvements every year.

Reactions: SDColorado

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Apple Watch Series 5 should/could add:
-blood glucose measurement
-blood pressure measurement
-skin/body temperature measurement

All three of those Apple Watch features are not a reality for the Series 5, I think especially glucose monitoring is still in research, that could be years out. Are those features coming that you mentioned? I absolutely do believe that, but I would think at least a few generation Apple Watches out.

Last edited:

DeNachtwacht

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
All three of those Apple Watch features are not a reality for the Series 5, I think especially glucose monitoring is still in research, that could be years out. Are those features coming that you mentioned? I absolutely do believe that, but I would think at least a few generation Apple Watches out.
that is exactly why I said i don’t expect a new Apple Watch this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.