When will this iMac be released?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PatriotInvasion, Jan 22, 2016.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

So I am a big fan of the iMac. I've had a mid-2010 27" that I sold for a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina display in 2012, only to go back to the iMac again in 2014 with a late-2013 27".

Now, as much as I drool over the 5K iMac's display, I cannot pull the trigger on it because I'd be staring at essentially the same face of the iMac I've had for almost 6 years! Thin edges are the only real changes during that span. When do you think we'll see a refreshed case design that reduces the big chin and thins out the thick bezels? Space Gray and Gold options would also be welcomed. My guess is late-2016, marking the 4 year anniversary from the current case design, but wondering what other thoughts and hopes you all have for the iMac line going forward.

ASUS has released a gold AIO that looks very nice, and would love to see a gold iMac as well - https://www.asus.com/us/AllinOne-PCs/Zen-AiO-Pro-Z240IC/

2. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

I am thinking the same thing, it's super due for a chassis refresh. I am worried I'll get this 2015 model in a few months and they'll come out with some completely different one this fall.

3. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I thought we may see the new design this past fall given that 3 years has been the typical life cycle for a case design. Seems as if Apple has slowed that cycle with Macs lately as the iOS device landscape has grown. We're actually coming up on a decade of this general design aesthetic for Macs which began with the mid-2007 iMac refresh that introduced a black bezel glass display and all aluminum enclosure.

The new MacBook is a good example of some fresh thinking for the Mac - Force Touch, USB-C, multi-color anodized aluminum. Hoping this extends to the rest of the Mac line.

4. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

If you see new Macbook Pros with a redesign, then it will be likely. If not, then probably not.

5. MadDane macrumors 6502a

What I worry about is that, given the trend in the past few years, a redesign might mean a more closed system. Who knows if Apple decides to solder for example the RAM in place on the 27" as well? That would be a big step backwards.

6. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

Love how that page is a carbon copy of Apples website and layout.

I personally doubt a gold colored imac is coming anytime soon. No bezel? Maybe. But I'm guessing no on the color. Apple likes the timeless, clean, professional look and that just doesn't fit with a gold looking desktop computer. On a phone? sure why not. On an imac that cost three grand? I'd count on them sticking with the clean look. :p

7. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I genuinely think that the next iteration will offer some/more color options. Look at the newest addition - the MacBook. It comes in three colors. The second newest is the Mac Pro. It is also colored. I do not see why they would not do the same with the next iteration of the iMac. I might even be tempted by a space grey/black version of an iMac with smaller bezels (and user upgradeable RAM!).

8. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

The iMac got their Alu look before the MBP unibody (I know the MBP was aluminum even before that, but that was an old design, the iMac got its redesign before the MBP did)